Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm seriously thinking about applying to the program. 3.38 cGPA, 3.13 sGPA, and 26 MCAT with solid ECs (going to retake before applying to medical school since this is a problem that needs to be fixed, but will likely do that toward the end of the SMP). Already rejected from one of my IS schools (pre-interview) and haven't even heard from another. Would I have a chance at acceptance into this program, and would it be a good choice for me (indeed, I don't want to make an expensive mistake and take this just to end up doing poorly)?

I would love to attend Georgetown and live in D.C., but I understand I'll likely be working on my SMP the entire time. This appears to be one of the more rigorous programs, and I feel like it would really give me some strong prep for med school. I think I'm going to at least apply, and I'm considering EVMS and BU as well. If only these things weren't so expensive...

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to tell you @brewgod11 that this is an expensive program, and it seems to me that you are competitive. You already know you have to retake the MCAT, and in this program they accept student whom they believe have the chance to be great doctors.

This program does not conduct interviews, and I didn't think I was going to get in but applied anyway, I said so before, the app was $130 that could change my life, and it did.

We take classes with the M1s and we have some classes that are just us, and I definitely feel like this is a good preparation for other medical schools.

Its really hard to have free time, but they usually come after the exam, the class usually plans something for everyone to come together and relax. Myself, I had time to visit some of the museums and the memorials so you will have time to slowly get to know DC.

You also should know that everything in DC is more expansive, relatively to other cities so I had a hard time adjusting at first but its a matter of learning how to balance your finances as well. Let us know if we can further help you :cat:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, this is my first time using SDN, so I'm hoping some of you are able to help me out! :)

I'm planning on applying to Georgetown's SMP sometime in March or April. I know that the deadline is later, but are all the spots usually taken by this point? Should I even bother applying?

Im currently waiting on some letters of rec and should be taking my GRE within the month. Is a 3.35 GPA relatively competitive for this program?

If someone else already answered this I apologize!

Edit: I just found on the website where they mention that they don't accept students who are pre-dental. I may not be even get in if I wanted to based on that fact alone. I don't see why if I had the scores and the gpa to get in why this would be an issue.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I'm a current applicant here, really hoping to get in, this seems like a great program from what I am reading!

How long does it take for them to receive MCAT scores and then update your application to say that it has been received around this time of the year? I am guessing they are starting to get an influx of applications around this time.

Also any idea how many people apply to this program? And how many are accepted? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, this is my first time using SDN, so I'm hoping some of you are able to help me out! :)

I'm planning on applying to Georgetown's SMP sometime in March or April. I know that the deadline is later, but are all the spots usually taken by this point? Should I even bother applying?

Im currently waiting on some letters of rec and should be taking my GRE within the month. Is a 3.35 GPA relatively competitive for this program?

If someone else already answered this I apologize!

Edit: I just found on the website where they mention that they don't accept students who are pre-dental. I may not be even get in if I wanted to based on that fact alone. I don't see why if I had the scores and the gpa to get in why this would be an issue.

Let me break your response down hehe!

Yes I still think you can apply "that late" because I did and I got in!
And I am not sure about the GRE score, if you are pre-dental this might not be the program for you, you will be taking classes with the medical students, and your grade will be compared against their, I don't know how that correlates to dental school and grading. Is there a program like this, from another school whose target are dental students? Regardless, you would have to take the DAT, to get into dental school.

A pre-med advisor once told me, and I don't know how relevant and accurate this information is ( someone please correct me on this if I am wrong), that schools don't like when you switch between dental and medical school. They like when you keep your focus on only one of the two.

I hope I could be of more help.

Hey all! I'm a current applicant here, really hoping to get in, this seems like a great program from what I am reading!

How long does it take for them to receive MCAT scores and then update your application to say that it has been received around this time of the year? I am guessing they are starting to get an influx of applications around this time.

Also any idea how many people apply to this program? And how many are accepted? Thanks!

Hey there!

This is a fantastic program, very competitive and one of the best in the country!
I believe you have to generate a report in the AMCAS website and send it to GT for them to see it. You might want to call in and double check, unless you already put the university down to receive your score. As soon as your application is complete, you get an email saying that is complete and under review.

I think last year the ratio was 10:1 for every spot, but I don't know the statistics for sure!!!

Reactions: 1 users

It doesn't really make sense for you to do something meant for medical school applicants, so why waste your scores and GPA AND a full year on a program that doesn't work well for you or make sense to the schools you're trying to get into? They're trying to save you the hassle more than anything. If you're not sure about dental vs med it may be another story. I hope this thread and others may be of some help!: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pre-dental-masters-and-post-bacc-programs.703264/

Hey there!

This is a fantastic program, very competitive and one of the best in the country!
I believe you have to generate a report in the AMCAS website and send it to GT for them to see it. You might want to call in and double check, unless you already put the university down to receive your score. As soon as your application is complete, you get an email saying that is complete and under review.

I think last year the ratio was 10:1 for every spot, but I don't know the statistics for sure!!!
I sent them a score report through the MCAT Testing History (THx) System I think maybe a week ago. I will give them a call tomorrow to ask if they want me to send a physical copy of a generated score report! Also I need to learn to be more patient haha.
Thanks for your reply btw!! :) it is much appreciated!

Complete 1/14/15, waitlisted 1/16/15. GPA > 3.0, MCAT > 30, non-trad

At least the turn around is quick, though I'm concerned that I was waitlisted this early in the cycle.

Does anyone have any insight on how GT decides between accepting vs waitlisting candidates for the SMP early in the cycle?

I wasn't waitlisted, but a classmate I know was. I think it's really based on the numbers-- the classmate I'm referring to had an MCAT <30 and GPA <3.0 and was waitlisted pretty early on, too. No worries, though, because I have met several students who came off the waitlist. There is hope!

Someone asked about how long it takes to hear back: I was that kid that applied to the program the day the application was due (I think the deadline was in May). Heard back in less than two weeks and was given a week or so to make a decision.

I am going to tell you @brewgod11 that this is an expensive program, and it seems to me that you are competitive. You already know you have to retake the MCAT, and in this program they accept student whom they believe have the chance to be great doctors.

This program does not conduct interviews, and I didn't think I was going to get in but applied anyway, I said so before, the app was $130 that could change my life, and it did.

We take classes with the M1s and we have some classes that are just us, and I definitely feel like this is a good preparation for other medical schools.

Its really hard to have free time, but they usually come after the exam, the class usually plans something for everyone to come together and relax. Myself, I had time to visit some of the museums and the memorials so you will have time to slowly get to know DC.

You also should know that everything in DC is more expansive, relatively to other cities so I had a hard time adjusting at first but its a matter of learning how to balance your finances as well. Let us know if we can further help you :cat:

Hi cupcake!

I was accepted into this program a few months ago, and almost cried I was so excited. I was also just accepted into Drexel's IMS program at the Sacramento campus (near my hometown, which is nice). I was all excited to move to DC, but then I started thinking about the money side of things, and now I'm just confused. Georgetown is so expensive, but if it's worth it, it's worth it, right? Drexel is considerably less money, but I don't know if it's as nationally recognized of a program, and my end game is to obviously end up in medical school. I currently live in SF, which is on par with DC as far as cost of living goes, and I can't imagine having to afford living here without an income. So I guess my question is, how big of an issue does the cost of the program and the city seem to you, as someone who is currently in the program?

I know money is a touchy subject for some people, so no pressure to answer! It's just the biggest thing weighing on my mind at this point.

Hi cupcake!

I was accepted into this program a few months ago, and almost cried I was so excited. I was also just accepted into Drexel's IMS program at the Sacramento campus (near my hometown, which is nice). I was all excited to move to DC, but then I started thinking about the money side of things, and now I'm just confused. Georgetown is so expensive, but if it's worth it, it's worth it, right? Drexel is considerably less money, but I don't know if it's as nationally recognized of a program, and my end game is to obviously end up in medical school. I currently live in SF, which is on par with DC as far as cost of living goes, and I can't imagine having to afford living here without an income. So I guess my question is, how big of an issue does the cost of the program and the city seem to you, as someone who is currently in the program?

I know money is a touchy subject for some people, so no pressure to answer! It's just the biggest thing weighing on my mind at this point.

I'll let WhiteCupcake or another person handle your main question about money, but I will point out that you are paying for very different things IMO. I wasn't familiar with the IMS-Sacramento program, but I looked into it briefly -- the difference is, you come to class to see a video feed (this is like the GeorgeSquared program, with the Georgetown-George Mason partnership) instead of with live professors, you don't have the ability to interact with the medical students or other opportunities at Drexel, you're getting a certificate (you have to do 2 years to get a masters degree), and the main interview link is to Drexel - though technically you're competing for those 25 spots with at least four different Drexel programs from my understanding - which is fine but it doesn't seem like applying to other schools is as successful unless you take a second year. I could be completely wrong about that, though.

There are pros like the cost, small class size (though I like the large size of the SMP, it hasn't hindered my learning and it means more friends for me! :p ), good chance at Drexel, etc. But, for me personally, I much prefer going to class and being able to interact with everyone, masters >>> certificate, and I wanted a program that was having clear success with multiple schools beyond Georgetown as well, since I'd prefer to be in the Midwest. These don't have to be important to you, but they were to me, and I just like have those comparisons set out. Searched out some SDN threads too: http://www.studentdoctor.net/search...&q=Drexel+IMS+vs+georgetown+smp&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Good luck with your decision!! And congrats on your acceptance! You'll be great either way :D

I'll let WhiteCupcake or another person handle your main question about money, but I will point out that you are paying for very different things IMO. I wasn't familiar with the IMS-Sacramento program, but I looked into it briefly -- the difference is, you come to class to see a video feed (this is like the GeorgeSquared program, with the Georgetown-George Mason partnership) instead of with live professors, you don't have the ability to interact with the medical students or other opportunities at Drexel, you're getting a certificate (you have to do 2 years to get a masters degree), and the main interview link is to Drexel - though technically you're competing for those 25 spots with at least four different Drexel programs from my understanding - which is fine but it doesn't seem like applying to other schools is as successful unless you take a second year. I could be completely wrong about that, though.

There are pros like the cost, small class size (though I like the large size of the SMP, it hasn't hindered my learning and it means more friends for me! :p ), good chance at Drexel, etc. But, for me personally, I much prefer going to class and being able to interact with everyone, masters >>> certificate, and I wanted a program that was having clear success with multiple schools beyond Georgetown as well, since I'd prefer to be in the Midwest. These don't have to be important to you, but they were to me, and I just like have those comparisons set out. Searched out some SDN threads too: http://www.studentdoctor.net/search-sdn/?cx=014006641314639809672:ipqmsamzet8&q=Drexel IMS vs georgetown smp&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Good luck with your decision!! And congrats on your acceptance! You'll be great either way :D

Thanks! I've researched both programs really thoroughly, and though some of the lectures at Drexel in Sacramento are webcast, there are in-person labs and mandatory groups as well. Having live professors is really important to me though. Like I said, I'm pretty much set on Georgetown, but the cost of it (with no guarantee that it will result in acceptance into medical school) just makes me woozy. I suppose it's just that much more incentive to work really hard in the program. Thanks for your help!

Thanks! I've researched both programs really thoroughly, and though some of the lectures at Drexel in Sacramento are webcast, there are in-person labs and mandatory groups as well. Having live professors is really important to me though. Like I said, I'm pretty much set on Georgetown, but the cost of it (with no guarantee that it will result in acceptance into medical school) just makes me woozy. I suppose it's just that much more incentive to work really hard in the program. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I don't blame you on feeling woozy about the cost. :( We have two exams on Tuesday, by the way, so your other advice may come around then - just an FYI so you're not waiting without knowing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't blame you on feeling woozy about the cost. :( We have two exams on Tuesday, by the way, so your other advice may come around then - just an FYI so you're not waiting without knowing!

Thanks! Good luck on your exam!!

Welcome! The tuition and cost of living to attend this program are quite high, about $70k in total. You will get the benefit of having a one-year master's degree over a certificate, and the M.S. can make you more competitive when it's time to match for residency. I took out a student loan to attend the SMP and I don't regret it in the slightest. Medical school is going to be expensive anyway, and this is 'just' one more year of expenses stacked onto my bill. The numbers make me a bit dizzy, but the money spent is an incentive to work harder. I greatly dislike being in debt, so I will do everything in my power to become a doctor, pay those loans off ASAP, and move on with my career.

Whatever you do, do not get a job while in the SMP because your GPA will suffer, and this is counterproductive to your goals. If the money is a grave concern, see what kinds of scholarships are available around you to help defray the cost a bit. I was able to get a few decent scholarships from my local and state representatives. Check around with your local civic organizations, social groups, and any religious organizations you belong to, as those often give out scholarships for graduate studies. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Do those who are already in the program have suggsetions for websites to find apartments close to campus? Figure its never too early to start looking haha

:) https://ochlistings.georgetown.edu/ You'll be able to log in with your NET ID once accepted and after you set it up, but I think you can also go ahead and make a guest account (it'll take a couple days for approval to go through). Otherwise, craigslist.

Welcome! The tuition and cost of living to attend this program are quite high, about $70k in total. You will get the benefit of having a one-year master's degree over a certificate, and the M.S. can make you more competitive when it's time to match for residency. I took out a student loan to attend the SMP and I don't regret it in the slightest. Medical school is going to be expensive anyway, and this is 'just' one more year of expenses stacked onto my bill. The numbers make me a bit dizzy, but the money spent is an incentive to work harder. I greatly dislike being in debt, so I will do everything in my power to become a doctor, pay those loans off ASAP, and move on with my career.

Whatever you do, do not get a job while in the SMP because your GPA will suffer, and this is counterproductive to your goals. If the money is a grave concern, see what kinds of scholarships are available around you to help defray the cost a bit. I was able to get a few decent scholarships from my local and state representatives. Check around with your local civic organizations, social groups, and any religious organizations you belong to, as those often give out scholarships for graduate studies. Good luck!

For those already in the program, do you think its' possible to volunteer while in the SMP? or should I really just focus on studying?
Because in the case I don't get accepted the year of, I will probably have to worry about other parts of my application as well.....

For those already in the program, do you think its' possible to volunteer while in the SMP? or should I really just focus on studying?
Because in the case I don't get accepted the year of, I will probably have to worry about other parts of my application as well.....

It is possible, but it's not suggested - depending on what you're looking to do, though. If the program thinks you really need volunteer experience, the admins will email you telling you to get some. We DO have a volunteer committee, so you can help set up volunteer experiences as well as attend them if you want to do some single-time volunteer events as well. Of course, if you know that you already are lacking in the volunteer department, I'd suggest using the half of year you have to build on it now, because it will be more stressful to fit in during the program.

So the admins
It is possible, but it's not suggested - depending on what you're looking to do, though. If the program thinks you really need volunteer experience, the admins will email you telling you to get some. We DO have a volunteer committee, so you can help set up volunteer experiences as well as attend them if you want to do some single-time volunteer events as well. Of course, if you know that you already are lacking in the volunteer department, I'd suggest using the half of year you have to build on it now, because it will be more stressful to fit in during the program.

Do the admins email all those enrolling in the SMP about weaknesses in their application?

So the admins

Do the admins email all those enrolling in the SMP about weaknesses in their application?

It's not for everyone - just those that have glaring holes, like a very weak MCAT, too little of a certain experience, etc. But if you have one (or more), they will email you. I don't know exactly when, though.

Hi cupcake!

First of all, congrats on your acceptance, pat yourself on the back and pour a drink... I have to say I wish I was accepted this early on to look for housing but first, LETS TALK ABOUT MONEY!

If you already live in a city where things are expensive, I guess the transition is easier, however, I came from a state where the fruit is always fresh and the prices are so much cheaper... So I had to adjust myself and kind of eat differently ( if that makes sense?) just because there are things that I refuse to pay: $6 for strawberries, berries and such... There is also the crazy 10% tax on food in DC and only 5% in good ( who understands right?) so there was a lot of adjusting... The program/loan will give you enough money to cover all of this, but you will also need to find a balance within what's is reasonable and worthy so that at the end, you can pay off the debt quicker! My other issue with DC, was cars... I don't have one, and grocery shopping became expensive (still cheaper than eating on campus) and painful (gotta carry all that somehow).

With that being said, I think this program is worthy it, I am learning so much and I can already see how it will help me in med school, I had the time to learn about what works for me, and about how much sacrifice goes into studying and wanting to be a doctor before I actually got there, which will allow me to do so much better. Be careful with just thinking you will do great in here, and I'm not saying you won't, but it will be hard and at first, it might take an exam or two before you discover how to defeat this monster... Having a master at the end is a huge plus, another degree that can set you apart from a lot of other applicants, and when I looked into program, I didn't look into any certificates because I knew I wanted a master at the end, make the money worth it!

I got accepted into other programs but I think I make the right choice with this one, taking classes with medical student will enrich your experience and you will talk with phenomenal physicians, top of the line :) this was obviously more expensive than what I was expecting, but I think it will work out at the end.

Now, housing... I initially lived with some M2s, and gosh they partied really hard ( new concept everyone, med students are not the goodies people think, at least mine weren't) so I actually recommend trying somewhere slightly farther from campus ( 20 min walk but closer to grocery and other places isn't bad at all... I walk 25 min every morning and I love it because it helps my health, and clears my head before and after class...) but I also pay more for my rent because I had to find a new place in a hurry and move in after the first month, point being: rent does get cheaper the further you go, and now you get a lot of time to look at places... Choose right, and don't choose roommates you can party with, this is NOT why you are here... And there is nothing to see living that close to campus anyway...

Sorry about the rant, long stressful double exam-y day!! Let me know how else I can help :X3:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!
I'm super confused about the application for georgetown's smp program. It says that you can choose from Option A or B and that you can upload your AMCAS application (for personal statement, academics, work/extracurriculars/awards I'm assuming) but how exactly do you go about doing that? Does it mean that I should just upload a word document of all the things I put into my AMCAS application to where it says Academic Statement of Purpose and Work Experience/Resume etc? Sorry if this seems obvious but I'm really unsure and would love help...

Do those who are already in the program have suggsetions for websites to find apartments close to campus? Figure its never too early to start looking haha

You are absolutely right, it's never too early and I got really screwed up with my first house because I didn't have time at all to look and think. I'm gonna let you in a little secret: the houses in Georgetown are old, expensive and not that big... I was shocked with the price of rent in comparison to the quality of living... Most of the rooms ( of several houses I been to, from friends) are really small and not comfy... Very rarely someone gets lucky with their room size and do not fall for the basement, they are the worst... And make sure you talk to the landlord to get a feel for what type of person you will deal with... Mine was craaaaazy! Serious issues... So I found an apartment complex and it is not bad at all... I like it a lot, there is so much space and it's so open and nice ( I get depressed without windows, I didn't have one in the basement... And yes that's against the law, so don't fall for it) and I get the security of knowing if something breaks, there is management to fix it and take care of things. Craigslist can help you ( or not in my case) and you can also look at realtor postings... Closer to summer, they usually create a spreadsheet to look for roommates for people in the program ( I recommend other SMPers, who will understand the demands) but you can also start looking by yourself, and my opinion, try finding a place to share with just one or two others... The 6 roommates houses can get really complicated, but this is just my personal opinion, from someone who had unfortunate things happen to...

Hope that helps :coffee:

Hey guys!
I'm super confused about the application for georgetown's smp program. It says that you can choose from Option A or B and that you can upload your AMCAS application (for personal statement, academics, work/extracurriculars/awards I'm assuming) but how exactly do you go about doing that? Does it mean that I should just upload a word document of all the things I put into my AMCAS application to where it says Academic Statement of Purpose and Work Experience/Resume etc? Sorry if this seems obvious but I'm really unsure and would love help...

I chose the option of using my AMCAS, and if I am not mistaken, I printed it and mailed it...

I think I did the application and put AMCAS on all parts that were on my AMCAS, and paid the app online then I sent a copy of my AMCAS, with Rec letters with it to the program... But you can call the office to verify! They are really nice and will be able to walk you through it! Don't quote me on how to do this, honestly after some time, this program consumes all thoughts in your head and your past become a blurry memory... :bag:

I chose the option of using my AMCAS, and if I am not mistaken, I printed it and mailed it...

I think I did the application and put AMCAS on all parts that were on my AMCAS, and paid the app online then I sent a copy of my AMCAS, with Rec letters with it to the program... But you can call the office to verify! They are really nice and will be able to walk you through it! Don't quote me on how to do this, honestly after some time, this program consumes all thoughts in your head and your past become a blurry memory... :bag:
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I think I will double check with them just in case! Also, you can submit your application and send them your transcripts and letters of rec afterwards right?

Thank you for your response! Also, I hope your exam went well!

Yeah, I'm currently in San Francisco, so I am pretty familiar with the frustrations associated with high cost of living- I'm just not used to having to deal with them without an income. I don't have a car, but I LOVE walking, so I think that part should be do-able for me.

After reading your posts and some of the other Georgetown SMPers, I think I've decided 100% on Gerogetown. Thank you so much for helping me sort through all of that. I've been out of undergrad for awhile now, and am officially too old to be very much fun, so partying won't be an issue. I'm actually really excited to have some studying to do again. Working full-time for several years has made me miss school.

Thanks again for your help!

First of all, congrats on your acceptance, pat yourself on the back and pour a drink... I have to say I wish I was accepted this early on to look for housing but first, LETS TALK ABOUT MONEY!

If you already live in a city where things are expensive, I guess the transition is easier, however, I came from a state where the fruit is always fresh and the prices are so much cheaper... So I had to adjust myself and kind of eat differently ( if that makes sense?) just because there are things that I refuse to pay: $6 for strawberries, berries and such... There is also the crazy 10% tax on food in DC and only 5% in good ( who understands right?) so there was a lot of adjusting... The program/loan will give you enough money to cover all of this, but you will also need to find a balance within what's is reasonable and worthy so that at the end, you can pay off the debt quicker! My other issue with DC, was cars... I don't have one, and grocery shopping became expensive (still cheaper than eating on campus) and painful (gotta carry all that somehow).

With that being said, I think this program is worthy it, I am learning so much and I can already see how it will help me in med school, I had the time to learn about what works for me, and about how much sacrifice goes into studying and wanting to be a doctor before I actually got there, which will allow me to do so much better. Be careful with just thinking you will do great in here, and I'm not saying you won't, but it will be hard and at first, it might take an exam or two before you discover how to defeat this monster... Having a master at the end is a huge plus, another degree that can set you apart from a lot of other applicants, and when I looked into program, I didn't look into any certificates because I knew I wanted a master at the end, make the money worth it!

I got accepted into other programs but I think I make the right choice with this one, taking classes with medical student will enrich your experience and you will talk with phenomenal physicians, top of the line :) this was obviously more expensive than what I was expecting, but I think it will work out at the end.

Now, housing... I initially lived with some M2s, and gosh they partied really hard ( new concept everyone, med students are not the goodies people think, at least mine weren't) so I actually recommend trying somewhere slightly farther from campus ( 20 min walk but closer to grocery and other places isn't bad at all... I walk 25 min every morning and I love it because it helps my health, and clears my head before and after class...) but I also pay more for my rent because I had to find a new place in a hurry and move in after the first month, point being: rent does get cheaper the further you go, and now you get a lot of time to look at places... Choose right, and don't choose roommates you can party with, this is NOT why you are here... And there is nothing to see living that close to campus anyway...

Sorry about the rant, long stressful double exam-y day!! Let me know how else I can help :X3:

Thank you for your response! Also, I hope your exam went well!

Yeah, I'm currently in San Francisco, so I am pretty familiar with the frustrations associated with high cost of living- I'm just not used to having to deal with them without an income. I don't have a car, but I LOVE walking, so I think that part should be do-able for me.

After reading your posts and some of the other Georgetown SMPers, I think I've decided 100% on Gerogetown. Thank you so much for helping me sort through all of that. I've been out of undergrad for awhile now, and am officially too old to be very much fun, so partying won't be an issue. I'm actually really excited to have some studying to do again. Working full-time for several years has made me miss school.

Thanks again for your help!

Yay! Another future SMPer! I think you will like this program, and same here... Too old and wise for the party hard life... They do have parties after the exams you can attend if you wish, or you can plan your own activities :) as for income... Technically you have one, you get a lot of money for monthly expenses, but eventually you have to pay that loan back! As for the exam... I don't want to jynx it by saying I killed it... ;)

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I think I will double check with them just in case! Also, you can submit your application and send them your transcripts and letters of rec afterwards right?

That is a true statement, I just bumped with my professor on the hallway and he gave me the *sealed* letter, and I had a *sealed* transcript anyway so I included in the package, so they got it all together... But I still had to wait 20 days before my last rec letter was in... Not to worry :)

Hey guys!
I think you can upload a copy of your AMCAS report on the online application (under the "Physiology and Biophysics M.S. only" section of the online application). I did not do this since I do not have an AMCAS report, but I'm guessing this would facilitate processing of your application. Or you can mail it in as whitecupcake suggested, either way, good luck!

Hey guys

I had a question for the current SMPers.
I actually live about an hour away from DC and I was thinking of just commuting (combo of metro and car) to save on living expenses.
Is having a 2hr commute daily a bad idea?

Hey guys

I actually live about an hour away from DC and I was thinking of just commuting (combo of metro and car) to save on living expenses.

Not if you don't mind it I guess. I believe lectures and all that good stuff are online, right? If I were really strapped for cash then I would do that, if it were cheap enough to justify it.

But, I'm not in the program...what do you current SMPers think?

Hey guys

Handing my computer off to a friend who is in that very situation right now...

"The two hour commute isn't that bad so long as you're willing to plan for it. Flashcards, books, even looking over pdf note sets can help make up for time that would otherwise be lost in transition. That said, take into account that parking in Georgetown is scant and if you commute by train you must either go to the Rosslyn or Dupont Circle Metro stations, and take the GUTS shuttle bus, which can have an unreliable schedule. I normally build an extra 30 minutes each way into my travel time, due to the Metro's legendary unreliability (I've lived in DC my whole life, so that's my opinion on it). On a more social note, living far away can be socially isolating, since you can't stay out as late as other SMPs. It's also harder to find study groups, since many groups are social as well and happen at people's houses. That said, living with family or relatives has its benefits, as I practically get free room and board, and don't have much responsibility in way of chores (other than studying and doing well in the program!). Obviously mine is just one perspective, and your mileage may vary."

Thanks so much! It's great to hear from someone who's actually in the same situation.
I guess if I factor in an extra ~30minutes it would be a 3 hr commute hehe... at the option of saving 13K and not having to cook or do any chores and just study.

If your friend had to choose all over again, would she still choose to commute?

Thanks so much! It's great to hear from someone who's actually in the same situation.
I guess if I factor in an extra ~30minutes it would be a 3 hr commute hehe... at the option of saving 13K and not having to cook or do any chores and just study.

If your friend had to choose all over again, would she still choose to commute?

Got him to respond by message this time, muahaha ;)

"Probably not. Living with my family is great, but I personally feel like I lose a lot of time commuting back and forth everyday. If they won't be living with family it definitely isn't worth it. For instance, *IF* (big if) I get into GUSOM next year, I will probably move to Georgetown."

Hi! I'll chime in on a few points that people have brought up.

You can save your AMCAS as a PDF and upload that to the SMP application. That's what I did and it makes filling out the application much faster. You can send your LORs and transcripts separately. I requested official transcripts mailed to GU, and my pre-med advising office mailed my letters.

@nosarcasm you sound a bit like me! I've been employed and out of school for a while and it was refreshing to get back into the classroom. The material is so much more interesting than the prereq stuff I was learning in undergrad, and the clinical correlations help us to put everything together and think like physicians. It's a really useful year, and I actually feel like I'm making progress towards my medical career.

@babyface10111, I live about 40 minutes away by car and it's totally doable. I rent a private parking space next to campus that I found on craigslist, and it's way cheaper/faster for me than taking the metro every day. It does make it harder to socialize after-hours and study on campus on weekends, but if you're saving $13k that's a huge plus. I'm married, so my housing/living situation is different from most. If you're on your own with no family in the area, definitely live close to campus.

@benjaminl1nus, most of the lectures are recorded but there are some mandatory sessions where participation is graded. It's true that a lot of people study on their own and don't attend class, but you should still pick a place that will still give you quick and easy access to the campus. Personally, I hate watching the recorded lectures and I get a lot out of going to class, but it's totally up to you.

@cardio7 Thanks for the info!
I PMed you about more questions about parking spaces. That's actually such a good idea I don't know why I didn't think of that! Driving to DC will be soooo much faster for me than taking metro. 35min vs 1.5 hr........

You all get the privilege to view my second comment on SDN!

I was just accepted! Such a huge relief after being wait-listed at EVMS. Still waiting on two other schools, but I've heard great things from Georgetown and will most likely attend.

Complete on 02/02/15
Accepted on 02/10/15

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just accepted as well!
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the official acceptance via "Apply Yourself"?

I think the awesome SMPers on this thread really convinced me that this program is worth it, they've been great answering questions and offering their insights! Ahhh I'm really excited about this! :)

Congratulations doctordoctor14! The advice and overall helpfulness of the cupcake crew is awesome. They've definitely helped push me towards Georgetown!

Created an account just to say I just got accepted!

3.55 GPA, 28 MCAT

Application complete 1-28-15
Accepted 2-10-15

Last edited:
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :D The day just keeps getting better and better - there are a TON of SMP's interviewing around the country this week and next and my friends and I were getting super hyped up about it, and now you're all accepted YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! :heckyeah:

Hi everyone! :) Got accepted today (woot!). I've got a couple of questions for all those SMP-Cupcakes, if y'all wouldn't mind answering!

So my stats are 3.5cGPA, 3.2sGPA, and 29(7PS/11B/11V) MCAT, with a retake of a 28 (8PS/9B/11V). I'm seriously interested in attending and improving my GPA, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to retake the MCAT again- which is something I really, really, REALLY do not want to do, especially since it's a new test now. Do any of you have any advice? Is there a possibility that if I rock grad school I'll get accepted with these MCAT scores?

Hey MooMoo20! Yeah, MCAT taking is no fun...I'd say you have a shot, especially at DO schools. Your state school may also be fine with it depending on where you are, and it won't matter too much if you end up interviewing at Georgetown. If your extracurricular and other aspects are particularly stellar that necessitates it less. But, it is true that having the 3-0 really is a magic number (especially for MD). The physio program will contact you if they seriously think you need it for your application. Feel free to email them about it as well, since they can see your application in full!

Edit: Meant to add on, your PS scores may be a red flag...if you have some extra time to study I would personally retake, as it will help you a great deal, but the choice is ultimately up to you. Whitecupcake is good to listen to on this one!

Last edited:
Also...is there a Georgetown SMP Class of 2016 page yet? I can't find it on Facebook. Let me know if you make one (or if you'd like me to make one for you) and I can help out. :) You can then share the link on your Google Group.

I'm crying tears of joy in here for all the cupcakes-to-be!!! I wish I could tag everyone in this post but I am not computer savvy...

Hi everyone! :) Got accepted today (woot!). I've got a couple of questions for all those SMP-Cupcakes, if y'all wouldn't mind answering!

So my stats are 3.5cGPA, 3.2sGPA, and 29(7PS/11B/11V) MCAT, with a retake of a 28 (8PS/9B/11V). I'm seriously interested in attending and improving my GPA, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to retake the MCAT again- which is something I really, really, REALLY do not want to do, especially since it's a new test now. Do any of you have any advice? Is there a possibility that if I rock grad school I'll get accepted with these MCAT scores?

I honestly do recommend retaking the MCAT again, if you rock this program ( not easy to do, but I hope everyone does) its a huge improvement but your application will still be missing something... I mentioned before, I had a 28, took it again and got a 31, which is what you should be aiming to get, especially considering your second score is lower than the first. The national average is a 32, so you should try to get closer to this number. Unfortunately a lot of school eliminates candidates on numbers alone as a pre-screening and being below 30 is kind of dangerous!
Seems to me your weakness is physical sciences, and this program will majorly help you with biology, but unfortunately I can't help you with the other sections.. even I don't want to take it again :(

Hope this helps, and now that you are accepted you can get a huge help and advise from the awesome staff of GT SMP :claps:

Last edited:
Also...is there a Georgetown SMP Class of 2016 page yet? I can't find it on Facebook. Let me know if you make one (or if you'd like me to make one for you) and I can help out. :) You can then share the link on your Google Group.

You are so overly helpful :hilarious:

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just accepted as well!
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the official acceptance via "Apply Yourself"?

Give it a couple of days, maybe like a week, I think that's how long it took... it seems they accept in "batches" and send that in "batches" as well....