This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I choose?!

• George Washington University

• Rutgers University

Results are only viewable after voting.

avey18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been lurking on this forum since I began applying to MPH schools last year. April 15th is quickly approaching, and I need all the help I can get in making a decision.

I've been accepted to (among 6 other schools) George Washington University and Rutgers University, both for an MPH in Biostatistics. GWU offered me a $30,000 scholarship and Rutgers offered me a $25,000 scholarship. That brings the total number of loans for each school to $37,500 and $28,000, respectively. I'm trying to choose between the two. GWU has been my dream school since I began applying, and Rutgers popped up near the end of the app process and I just threw it on my SOPHAS app for the heck of it.

I've always wanted to attend grad school in a big city for the networking connections and fast pace of life, and obviously Washington, DC is exactly that. New Brunswick (Rutgers) is much smaller than DC and the local economy/jobs don't appear to be booming.

Here's the rub though--I've always known that I wanted a program that was very focused on biostatistics and had a high quality internship portion to it. Rutgers' curriculum seems to be more biostats/data analysis heavy, versus GWU which has slightly more "core courses" that cover typical areas like health policy and occupational health. Also, Rutgers' internship portion has a 400 hour minimum, and GWU is 120 hours.

Does anyone have any insight on either school or program? Really any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position.

Admitted: GWU, NYU, BU, Tufts, Tulane

Not a clue what to do.

I'm in a similar position.

Admitted: GWU, NYU, BU, Tufts, Tulane

Not a clue what to do.
What degree and major are you considering?

I ended up choosing GWU over Rutgers and BU for an MPH in Biostatistics because GWU has the most job and internship opportunities and also a more Biostats heavy curriculum compared to BU.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I have Rutgers on my final list of schools as well. I am trying to decide now, and I am leaning towards them over NYU and Drexel. I met with their students and hearing about their experiences really makes it seem like a great fit. Best of Luck to you!