Geographically Schizophrenic Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXMSIV

bateau ivre
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of sheer curiosity, anyone venture rankings and input over the following schools. Planning on doing Cards apparently like every other applicant this year:

UTSW
Baylor
Columbia
NWU
UofC

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

TXMSIV said:
Out of sheer curiosity, anyone venture rankings and input over the following schools. Planning on doing Cards apparently like every other applicant this year:

UTSW
Baylor
Columbia
NWU
UofC

Thanks for the input.

It depends, do you want to do cards in a specific location (Cleveland Clinic, Texas Medical Center) or do you not care?

In terms of fellowships, there are advantages to doing IM at the same program previously.

Not necessarily a specific locale, but I'd like good options. Staying in one place would be nice and each of these has a good Cards Dept, though Chicago would be weakest out of these 5. Kind of a wash between THI and Columbia from fellowship perspective. The problem I have with UTSW is that it's a great gen. med program, but I plan on doing Cards, and they are a little medieval on their approach (no electives 1st year, no protected research time ever). The problem I have with Baylor is that if I were in Houston I'd prefer THI, but in looking at where their fellows come from, being from Houston looks like it only affords a small advantage (2 from Baylor, 1 from UTH, 1 from Columbia). So who knows.

If you work hard during residency you will be able to get a cards fellowship coming from any of these programs. Honestly there is not a huge difference in the reputations of these places. Your individual application will matter a lot more. That being said - you are correct about the scheduling problems at UTSW. A lot of people end up applying their 3rd year and working for a year as a hospitalist or something.

The thing you have to realize about THI is that this is a top 5 cards fellowship program. As such you are competing with applicants from MGH, Hopkins, B&W as well as superstars from other programs. Yes it may help you to get to know the attendings there by going to baylor. But if you are not a stellar applicant with lots of research its not going to make a difference.