Genetics vs Immunology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immunology or Genetics

• Immunology

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Genetics

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
D

deleted642188

This is a pretty question: I was wondering which class in your opinion had more interesting and/or easier concepts: Immunology or Genetics and what you liked about your choice?

I need one more elective for graduation and both classes seem interesting to me. I would like to take it easy for my final semester

There are some other classes that I can think of for electives: Intro to Drug Delivery, Cellular Physiology, and Fundamentals of Pharm,

EDIT: I also found out I can do Intro to Bioinformatics

and also which of the mentioned classes would be most useful for first and second year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easier? Really depends on your school.

At my school, genetics is a cakewalk and immunology is a kick in the nads. But I've heard that genetics is a nightmare at a lot of places.

Probably better to ask people at your school who've taken these classes.

Easier? Really depends on your school.

At my school, genetics is a cakewalk and immunology is a kick in the nads. But I've heard that genetics is a nightmare at a lot of places.

Probably better to ask people at your school who've taken these classes.

But personally which did you think was more interesting/insightful?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think immunology is much more interesting than genetics. A lot of it depends on the professor.

Did you take/have comments on the other classes i have mentioned?

Intro to Pharm, Intro to Drug Delivery, Cellular physio and bioinformatics?

Did you take/have comments on the other classes i have mentioned?

Intro to Pharm, Intro to Drug Delivery, Cellular physio and bioinformatics?
I took physiology and it is the most interesting science class out there, in my opinion. Pharm would be interesting too. For me personally I think bioinformatics would be boring.

If you want something that may have some translation over to your medical school preclinical years, immunology would probably be the best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Immunology is ResidentSleeper.

Genetics is mega fun imo.

I think it totally depends on the professors at your school so try using ratemyprofessors or talking to current students and pick the one you think you will learn/excel in but both would look equally good (genetics might be slightly better). The pharmacology classes look interesting also

Genetics hasn't been terribly difficult but I don't think it's all that interesting. Immuno on the other hand I find very interesting but can be a pain to learn. I think one of the biggest differences is that immunology doesn't make much sense until you see the whole picture, which can sometimes take a while. Genetics on the other hand is a little easier to break down in to separate concepts and units.

Pick the course with the higher rated instructor on ratemyprofessor.

Reactions: 1 user
my genetics class was an absolute nightmare, and it was extremely boring. Apparently the exam averages for the immuno class I couldn't get into has been a 91-92%; so given the posts above, I'd say it really depends on your school.

The survey portions of immuno that I've had in intro bio, physio, cell bio, etc, have not been all that enticing though, imo