Generalist MSWs and Clinical Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking at MSW programs, I see that some that I may be interested in on the basis of other factors are generalist programs without designated tracks (medical track, mental health track, administrative track, etc.). I know that I want to go into clinical work, definitely NOT administrative (I've done internships in administrative work, and it's just not for me). Would a generalist program be a real disadvantage?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The school I am planning on going to is a generalist MSW. I chose not to go there because of the school, but because it is in my area and I can get in-state tuition, and have a relatively inexpensive place to live. My instructor raves about generalist practice, saying it's important to know both sides of the coin to be effective. Of course, he also developed the program at the school I'm going to. I don't mind learning about the admin side of things (I think it might be helpful even) but rather am concerned about the lack of specialization. I am hoping that my internship will give me the experience and education I need and am not counting on the course work for a lot. I'm interested in two areas actually, and you can only specialize in one, but I still would have liked to have the option.

I would look to see where the school offers internships. Many schools post on their web sites where they have contracts, or you could contact the school directly. I contacted all the schools I considered, and am going to an information meeting later this month at the one in my area, so I'm hoping to get more info. If you are in the same area as the school you're considering, find out if you can talk to any graduates from the program; you could find out how easy it was for them to find work. I know some areas, like working for DSS, it does not matter if you specialize. I think the internship will count for more.