general surgery resident looking for research year to transition into radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrkndply

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a general surgery pgy1 resident. Unfortunately it took me 6 months into my intern year to realize that my professional interests are aligned with a career in radiology rather than surgery. It took me some time to come to this realization but I definitely want to make this career transition.

Two questions:
1)I want to spend a year doing payed diagnostic or interventional radiology research during which i would apply. Any advice on how to go about finding such an opportunity?

2)As I am no longer interested in surgery, would i still have to take the absite?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on switching to the dark side, Radiology is awesome!

1). I would email 5 to 10 PD or PC of radiology programs where you wouldn’t mind moving and working and explain your situation, asking if they knew of such opportunities at their institutions.

2). I would still take the absite. If the paid position doesn’t work out or if you need more money, there are some wound care and rounding opportunities that are available to people with surgical training.

thank you for responding to my post. I am working on reaching out to PD and PC now, hoping for the best.

You mentioned wound care and rounding opportunities. Any tips on how to find such a job?

In general if anyone else has been in a similar position, I'd love to hear what kind of job they were able to get for that 1 year in between transition programs.