"general" review VS review series for step2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTCA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried a search but I couldn?t find a specific answer
If you had to do good in step 2 (lets say if you are an IMG or an AMG without a satisfactory step 1 score) and time wasnt much of a problem (lets say 6 mo with 8h/day available),
Would you use a combination of ?general? (dont know if thats an accurate term) review books?
BnW+ crush+ FA/ BnW+ prescription+ FA etc.
Or would you go for a subject-orientated series (maybe +BnW?)
Blueprints?
Kaplan?
High yield?
First aid clerkships?
I know many people recommend blueprints for solid preparation, but it appears I have a condition that should be called compulsive memorization! That is I instinctively try to learn most of what is on the book I am studying. So BP peds or obgyn seem like too much info for me (for example I cant find any questions in the NMS book that are related to drug doses) and even anatomy description in BP surgery doesn?t seem to be very helpful as far as questions are concerned.
Info in general review books seems more straightforward and high yield. Do you think that the lack of detailed knowledge (due to not using a subject specific series) could hurt someones score? Do you think that any one of the aforementioned series (or part of them) is more test orientated than BP and yet sufficient for a good score?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

for step 2 i would do TONS of questions (qbank was good, NMS has hard questions but the explanations are great)...you also need to pick a general review book or two, because you need a source that summarizes the information--crush the boards was good for me, others used step 2 secrets and boards and wards (though its a very dense book to read)......to get the most out of your six months, you can slowly read the kaplan subject books or the blueprints series and organize the information for each disease in the following format

1) etiology and most common cause (in the overall population as well as in different age/demographic groups)
2) diagnosis: the best lab tests, physical findings, the best imaging tests
3) management

lastly, doing questions will make you familiar with vignettes and buzzwords

The kaplan books have too much information, but they are arranged in the above format....you can put any
useful info into the margins of crush and then eventually just look at crush alone in the last few days leading up to your exam

good luck