General questions about PT..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm interested in sports-related PT. I played football until I finished high school and I'm very interested in sports medicine.

From my understanding, after one finishes PT school they have the option to specialize in several fields, sports medicine being one of them.

It would be fantastic if I could work as an NFL PT, but that's pretty much a pipe dream. I researched and PTs for pro athletes represent a VERY small percentage of practicing physical therapists. But what about working with college athletes?

Does anyone have any information on college football related PT? What's the work environment like? Will I only work with football players or the other athletes as well?

Also, is it realistic to go into private practice specializing in sports medicine? I'm not 100% educated on how private practice for PT works lol, I just recently changed my mind to pre-physical therapy.

A friend of mine recommended that I should look into being a PT for professional wrestlers and Olympic athletes.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I read in a previous post that Athletic Trainers dominate the field of on-site sports medicine.

You think you want one thing now but you might change your mind when you're in PT school. I know you have dreams but dreams change. Get into PT school, graduate, take your exit exam, and then think about specialization.

Kevin

I worked as a sports medicine intern during undergrad for my college and the athletes, and it seemed like athletic trainers definitely dominated that field. While there were 3-4 PTs, they worked generally and with all the teams; they did not focus of just one sport (i.e. football). But I also agree with Kevin; don't focus of specialization quite yet; you may end up changing your mind :)