General question about accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a bit lost, can you please help me out?
So if the school is listed as ""currently operational" on this website: World Directory of Medical Schools
it does not guarantee that its accredited in the US and a graduate of such a school will be allowed to become a doctor in the US.
then which website will tell you exactly which school is accredited?
I do not want to go to school for 6 years and then find out I am not eligible to take the USMLE because I am a graduate of a school that is not accredited in the US...

I am new to this whole medical school thing so I am sorry if its a dumb question and I hope what I am asking is making sense...
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just tell us what school you're thinking about?

In any case, on that site find your school and then choose "Sponsor notes" and look at the ECFMG notes.

Why don't you just tell us what school you're thinking about?

In any case, on that site find your school and then choose "Sponsor notes" and look at the ECFMG notes.

for example:
1 school: School Detail
That school is not accredited in the US, correct? That means that if one graduates from that school they can NOT become physician in the US, correct?

BUT

2 school: School Detail
is accredited in the US, correct? Which means that if one graduates from that school then they can become a physician in the US, correct?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I am a bit lost, can you please help me out?
So if the school is listed as ""currently operational" on this website: World Directory of Medical Schools
it does not guarantee that its accredited in the US and a graduate of such a school will be allowed to become a doctor in the US.
then which website will tell you exactly which school is accredited?
I do not want to go to school for 6 years and then find out I am not eligible to take the USMLE because I am a graduate of a school that is not accredited in the US...

I am new to this whole medical school thing so I am sorry if its a dumb question and I hope what I am asking is making sense...
Thank you!
Don’t go to a school outside the US and the problem is solved. It’s a massive risk that you don’t get a residency

for example:
1 school: School Detail
That school is not accredited in the US, correct? That means that if one graduates from that school they can NOT become physician in the US, correct?

BUT

2 school: School Detail
is accredited in the US, correct? Which means that if one graduates from that school then they can become a physician in the US, correct?

Thank you
No international schools are accredited by the US.
Graduates of international schools who have been trained in a US residency are eligible to practice, however.
California gives more specific advice: Physicians & Surgeons - Applicants | Medical Board of California

You are "correct", although your terminology is incorrect as noted above.

No international schools are accredited by the US. But if they are accredited in their home countries and meet certain standards, then they qualify for taking the USMLE exams, for ECFMG certification, and then for possible practice in the US.

Your assessment of that for these two schools is correct. If you attended that second school AND took and did well on the USMLE AND ended up with some US experience (not absolutely required but very helpful) AND applied to non-competitive fields in non-competitive places, there would be some chance that you would get a spot.

Thank you guys, so , so, so much!