General Plastics post-ENT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's moola. One thing i was really concerned about is being shunned for having "alternative plans" as an ENT resident. I am hoping to go for a general plastics fellowship and do either craniofacial or head/neck fellowship afterwards. Is this something that should be concealed from our Chair/PD until the time of application comes up? Have residents ever gotten shafted for being different in this sense? I am planning on doing research in craniofacial/plastics and head/neck surg as a resident. I dont wanna draw fire but at the same time i hate being devious. I wanna tell the ENT dept of my plans so i can move on.

My question is, what sort of reaction should I expect. Have there been any residents at your institution who have done a non-ENT fellowship (cosmetics or general plastics) and succeeded? How should I approach this? Guys, I have gotten fire for this in the past so please be nice. I just think that general surgeon trained plastic surgeons have no more business in craniofacial surgery than us good ENT folks.

Please gimme your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Strange... I wouldn't have thought ENT departments would have a problem with your plan. I think you should be open and let people know your plans. I don't think you will be criticized or condemned... However, being secretive would be grounds for attendings feeling hurt that you didn't think enough of them to be open and honest.

Hey guys,

It's moola. One thing i was really concerned about is being shunned for having "alternative plans" as an ENT resident. I am hoping to go for a general plastics fellowship and do either craniofacial or head/neck fellowship afterwards. Is this something that should be concealed from our Chair/PD until the time of application comes up? Have residents ever gotten shafted for being different in this sense? I am planning on doing research in craniofacial/plastics and head/neck surg as a resident. I dont wanna draw fire but at the same time i hate being devious. I wanna tell the ENT dept of my plans so i can move on.

My question is, what sort of reaction should I expect. Have there been any residents at your institution who have done a non-ENT fellowship (cosmetics or general plastics) and succeeded? How should I approach this? Guys, I have gotten fire for this in the past so please be nice. I just think that general surgeon trained plastic surgeons have no more business in craniofacial surgery than us good ENT folks.

Please gimme your thoughts.

Maybe you should speak to this guy for advice:

http://www.rch.org.au/plastic/staff.cfm?doc_id=4832

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Moola, don't sweat it. I'm with you on this one, as I'm hoping to do the ENT/plastics/craniofacial route myself. I honestly don't understand why anyone in your department would have a "problem" with that, unless they're all somehow incredibly close minded or something.

Well let me know how it works out for you bro.

the only way I see this as being a problem unless you're planning on trying to go into plastics after your R-3 year. If you're doing that, I think it's a weaselly thing to do. I say finish your residency and apply to get in following your chief year.

If you are planning just that, I don't see why anyone will give you a hard time. Most chairmen are thrilled if their residents go on to a fellowship.

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. I had intentions of doing plastics/craniofacial but I HATE GALLBLADDERS and BOWEL SURGERY, but love the intricacies of head/neck anatomy. Besides, PLASTICS is better represented in an ENT residency vs. GS residency. You guys rock.

Has anyone from any one of your ENT programs gotten into a plastics fellowship? I heard that they prefer GS residents vs. ENT ppl.

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it. I had intentions of doing plastics/craniofacial but I HATE GALLBLADDERS and BOWEL SURGERY, but love the intricacies of head/neck anatomy. Besides, PLASTICS is better represented in an ENT residency vs. GS residency. You guys rock.

Has anyone from any one of your ENT programs gotten into a plastics fellowship? I heard that they prefer GS residents vs. ENT ppl.

Iowa has one this year going the oto/plastics fellowship route. Going to Harvard, I think.

I think another guy is going the same route in the next year or two, as well. Not too unheard of.

If you look at the numbers on match statistics for the Independent (AKA Fellowship) match for Plastics, fully trained General Surgeons have the highest match rate. Yes, you can do PRS after OTO, but it's not the most successful route. If Plastics is really what you want to do, your best bet is:

1. Take a stab at Integrated/Combined PRS programs
2. Complete General Surgery
3. Complete either OTO or Ortho. Orthopods in the past have done well at certain programs

Best of luck.

And please, don't call it "General Plastics". My certificate doesn't say "General Plastics". My professional organization is not "The American Society of General Plastic Surgeons." It's Plastic Surgery.

And please, don't call it "General Plastics". My certificate doesn't say "General Plastics". My professional organization is not "The American Society of General Plastic Surgeons." It's Plastic Surgery.

How about "Super Cool Awesome Plastic Surgery." That is in contrast to "Plastique Surgery" and "Plastix Surgery", which, despite being surgery, are not super, cool, or awesome.

If you look at the numbers on match statistics for the Independent (AKA Fellowship) match for Plastics, fully trained General Surgeons have the highest match rate. Yes, you can do PRS after OTO, but it's not the most successful route. If Plastics is really what you want to do, your best bet is:

1. Take a stab at Integrated/Combined PRS programs
2. Complete General Surgery
3. Complete either OTO or Ortho. Orthopods in the past have done well at certain programs

Best of luck.

well, doesnt it make sense to call it a general plastics fellowship to differentiate it from facial plastics?

I know a guy who did full ENT residency at USC then went to a plastics fellowship.

Anyone know if it's possible to go into craniofacial following a facial plastics fellowship, or do you need the full general plastics training.

Anyone know if it's possible to go into craniofacial following a facial plastics fellowship, or do you need the full general plastics training.

Facial plastics fellowships are USUALLY geared more towards the aesthetic side of things: rhinoplasties, blephs, rhytidectomies, brow lifts, peels, laser resurfacing, etc. Some also have aspects of recon, very few have full microvascular training. I would be surprised to see a surgeon get into a craniofacial program after just a one year FPRS fellowship.

Of course, I am not running a craniofacial fellowship, so I could be wrong.