General Chemistry help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golf10s

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me how to do this problem?

What volume of HCl was added if 20 mL of 1 M NaOH is titrated with 1 M HCl to produce a pH = 2?

a) 10.2 mL
b) 20.2 mL
c) 30.4 mL
d) 35.5 mL
e) None of these

And the answer is e). It seemed like the answer was b) but I guess not [V1 = 1 x 10^-2 *(V1 + 20 mL)]

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

the answer is 20.4mL. you had the right equation, but after adding the additional amount into solution, the total volume is about 40 instead of 20.

This is the way I'd approach it:

In order to make a solution of pH of = 2 you need [H+] of 0.01 excess from whatever nutralization happened. This is because pH is ?log[H+]. You have a base and acid, both with normalities of one. You know you have 2 moles of the base and Hence you only need 3 moles of HCl so that the difference is one mole. 3 moles of HCl will be 30 ml of HCl. Molarity is one for both solutions.

So the answer is 30 ml. I certainly hope this helps, I wasn't quite familiar with the equation you had there.

ok, let me explain why it's 20.4 mL. First, you need to add enough HCl to neutralize the solution. b/c it is a 1M/1M ratio, adding 20 mL will give you a pH of 7. use the equation M1V1=M2V2. the desired molarity of the hydrogen ion is .01 b/c that will give a pH of 2. the concentration added is 1M (as stated in the question).

1M * (x mL) = (.01M) * (40 + x mL)

the reason there is 40 is b/c after neutralization, the solution has 40 mL (20 mL of base and 20 mL of acid). solve for x and then add that value to the 20 mL you already added to neutralize the solution. hope that clears it up. you should get 20.4mL

you are right, i didn't account for the increase in the volume.