GenChemC+/C-,OchemC/C, everything else is high! Thoughts Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyGhost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a 3.572 with regard to grade replacement, but somewhere around 3.3/3.4 maybe even slightly lower with my grades averaged instead of replaced. I am planning on applying to both MD and DO schools this coming summer. I am taking the MCAT in April.
My Chemistry grades are my biggest problem, I had family issues and health issues when taking GenChem 1, got a C+. I felt thoroughly unprepared by that guy for GenChem2, and was blindsided by an even crazier Prof, and got a C-. I dont know why but I decided that since I had "survived" enough to leave GenChem behind, that I would understand Ochem better, which I actually did, but then my downfall was our tests were only 70 Min, and my Prof was the only one I could take for Ochem 1 and 2. I got D's the first time in each of her classes, then got a C+ the second time and a C in Ochem2. After that I decided why not go to BioChem (even though every preprofessional student I talked to said it was the hardest class on campus), I like Bio and I am good at it, I did and got a B+, I barely missed an A-. I felt like less of an idiot and that it wasnt just me, and not understanding Chem.
Anyway I wonder when I apply this year, how my Chem history might look to most schools. I know I need to retake the GenChem2 for better then a C-. By me declaring that I will be retaking it this fall or sometime in the future before I would matriculate, will that make it less of an issue?
By calculating just my Bio gpa I have a 3.7, and a 3.9 for Physics. So Im not a complete idiot when it comes to school. I just had a bad start and foundation for GenChem/Ochem. What would you all do, or how do you think Addcomms might look at it all?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to piggyback on this: I recieved a C+ in a 1-credit lab, how hard do the adcoms look at this? I was one pointaway from a B-.

Definitely retake the C- since the lowest accepted at most schools is a flat C. It's not good to apply with C's on your record, but it's not like they'll keep you from going to medical school if everything else is good, including the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to piggyback on this: I recieved a C+ in a 1-credit lab, how hard do the adcoms look at this? I was one pointaway from a B-.
If it's your only C, it'll probably be completely meaningless. I know one person at Harvard that got 1 C in Physics 1 (but an A in physics 2).

If it's your only C, it'll probably be completely meaningless. I know one person at Harvard that got 1 C in Physics 1 (but an A in physics 2).

Great, thanks. It's my only C (thus far,:xf:)