Gen Surg Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mobile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

Does anyone know how competitive Urology or Gen. Surgery residency spots are at Madigan or the other Medcens?

Members don't see this ad.

It's competitive at Madigan for General Surgery. I believe that top 3 competitive programs for gen surg are Madigan, Walter Reed and Tripler. I really think that the key is to rotate there if you think that you want to go to Madigan.

If you have more questions, let me know...I will be starting as a PGY-1 in July - Gen. Surg.

I don't know much about Urology but I assume that it is also really competitive considering there are not a lot of spots at the medcens, i.e. only 1 spot at tripler (unsure how many there are at madigan, though).

NYPostbac

The most competetive GS residencies are WRAMC, MAMC, BAMC. Tripler usually is giving spots away to PGY2's. At BAMC we usually have about 15-20 4th years rotate through our program each year. There is one Uro spot at BAMC, however, they take 2 interns. One will go to UT-San Antonio for PGY2-6. All of these programs have an obligatory 1 year of research. If you are leaning toward surg oncology, WRAMC is the place to go, hands down. If you want something else, BAMC has by far and away the best research year. (Yeah, I am biased.) It is a structure program at USAISR, well funded, lots of projects, travel, presentations, publications..... You will be able to position yourself to get into any fellowship program. If you want any specifics, please PM me.