GE mini TEE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting marketing. One of the selling points is no anesthesia. Case study is from Spain. Not sure how many US cardiologists want to spend their days being echocardiographer for structural interventions. As always, it would depend on reimbursement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never used this probe but I've tried out their new model for regular us for an arterial line and it is amazing. The detail is so fine, it's basically impossible to miss a vessel

Interesting marketing. One of the selling points is no anesthesia. Case study is from Spain. Not sure how many US cardiologists want to spend their days being echocardiographer for structural interventions. As always, it would depend on reimbursement.

Same guy can do the amulet plus the sedation and tee?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a parallel development path in ICE as well for structural. It is possible that the future will include very little general anesthesia in the cardiovascular intervention service lines.

I think this is a good thing, when I was a new attending I loved structural intervention . Now I love every day that I don’t have to be there because I feel like I’m decreasing my chances of getting a brain tumor or hypothyroidism

Reactions: 5 users
There is a parallel development path in ICE as well for structural. It is possible that the future will include very little general anesthesia in the cardiovascular intervention service lines.

I think this is a good thing, when I was a new attending I loved structural intervention . Now I love every day that I don’t have to be there because I feel like I’m decreasing my chances of getting a brain tumor or hypothyroidism
ICE is definitely where they’re trying to go. For multiple reasons, not the least of which the Proceduralist can bill for the procedure and ICE imaging but neither the Proceduralist nor anesthesia can bill for TEE. Add that to the cost of the catheter the hospital gets to bill for and the ease of scheduling if they don’t need to coordinate with anesthesia and the cath lab is trying to get out of the GA business imo.

Reactions: 2 users
In fellowship, there was an cardiology attending that did a TEE on himself. So anything can be done with no general anesthesia if you try hard enough.

I don't buy it. Anyone tried to put in an OG in an awake pt knows the form factor matters very little in the pts gag and discomfort. In order to get good images, the probe has to contact the esophagus with some pressure, that along with pharyngeal stimulation will make it uncomfortable enough for >90% of the population.

"4D" TEE is just a marketing ploy. The same function existed on the Philips X8-2t for years. It's just live 3D, which could have been done on an IE-33 with X7-2t probes. 4D is nothing new.

The GE picture and processing was worse due to the physical frequency limit of the probes - Philips X8 is 8MHz while (I believe) the best probe from GE before the 9VT was only 6MHz. I'm guessing the 9VT can go up to 9MHz which will give it an edge if the processing CPU catches up. (it should be easy since the CV3D machines from Philips is barely more processing than my gaming computer during college).

The issue is market adaptation. Most institutions that uses TEE regularly have already put huge sunk costs in the Philips machines ($250k each) and probes ($40k each). Most people, myself included, trained on the Philips machines and is super used to the interface.

I consider myself pretty adaptive and open to new things. But I hate it every time I have to drive the 6VT-D with their clunky GE interface.

Sorry for the long rant: overall, nothing new. May be slightly better. But uphill battle against the established Philips market dominance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users