Gave up on pursing dentistry in Canada - Is Europe an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raptorsguy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on here and I apologise for any typos in advance.

In a nutshell, I did a year of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary in hopes of getting a GPA high enough to apply for dentistry. However, after a year of handwork, the best I could do was a 3.0 GPA and when attending the prospective dental students meetings (just couldn't handle it), everyone else was getting a 3.5+ with ease. Seeing that studying dentistry too competitive for me to get accepted in Canada, I'm now seriously considering universities in Europe. The requalifying process in Canada for dental grads from accredited/unaccredited institutions around the world seems doable (I have a cousin who has done it before).

I wanted to start a thread for anyone else considering pursing dentistry anywhere else but Canada in hopes to re-qualify in Canada. I have been actively researching about dental schools in Poland and India.

Members don't see this ad.

Try Australia. I know some people with 3.0 ish got into Australian schools.

Do an SMP in the states and apply in the states

Members don't see this ad :)
Try American dental students, they'll prepare you better clinically than Canadian schools from what i've heard. Plus there are alot of Canadian friendly schools like NYU, UDM, Case Western, Temple

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

In a nutshell, I did a year of Kinesiology at the University of Calgary in hopes of getting a GPA high enough to apply for dentistry. However, after a year of handwork, the best I could do was a 3.0 GPA and when attending the prospective dental students meetings (just couldn't handle it), everyone else was getting a 3.5+ with ease. Seeing that studying dentistry too competitive for me to get accepted in Canada, I'm now seriously considering universities in Europe. The requalifying process in Canada for dental grads from accredited/unaccredited institutions around the world seems doable (I have a cousin who has done it before).

I wanted to start a thread for anyone else considering pursing dentistry anywhere else but Canada in hopes to re-qualify in Canada. I have been actively researching about dental schools in Poland and India.

You'll have to do the foreign qualifying exam, the practical component of which has a pass rate of 10-20% where you're tested on your ability to perform procedures down to the millimeter scale. Not worth it in my opinion. Also, no one knows if by the time you're done, if the 2 year qualifying programs will be mandatory. If they do become mandatory, it'll be a huge waste of money/time to study dentistry abroad.
Apply to Australia. Sydney has a 2.7 GPA cutoff after which you're ranked based on DAT+ interview. Melbourne looks at last 3 years. There are also accredited undergraduate Dentistry in Australia which you could look into.
The other option of course is to do a masters (SMP or regular) and apply to the US schools.
Choose one of those two options.

I know a Canadian friend and her brother who both did dental school in Australia. Apparently Australia has some sort of agreement with Canadian dental schools in terms of licensure

Dude, don't go to Europe. The process to become qualified as a foreign dentist is not worth it. Your best bet is to apply to USA, Australia, Ireland, as dental degrees from those places are considered equivalent to canadian degrees by the CDA. A 3.0 is not the end of the world, you just have to do well on the DAT and have decent extra-currics.

As everyone else is saying, look at the USA, and Australia.

Hello,

This is my first post on this thing too. Hey ! I am in your same position.I moved to the US for undergrad. I excelled my first year and my GPA declined tremendously over the past years. I've been so stressed especially when I read the profiles of other students, who I know have a fairer chance of getting into dental school than I am. Ii am looking at dental schools in areas, other than the US and Canada and I believe Australia is worth the try.