This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpa19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently decided to take a gap year, so I need to find a real job during that time. I was wondering when I should start applying for jobs to put me at the best advantage for getting a job that I want for my gap year? I would like to do something research related. Are there any gap year programs there or other jobs you would suggest applying for?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I recently decided to take a gap year, so I need to find a real job during that time. I was wondering when I should start applying for jobs to put me at the best advantage for getting a job that I want for my gap year? I would like to do something research related. Also, I really want to be in NYC, are there any gap year programs there or other jobs you would suggest applying for?
I applied in September/October, interviewed in December just before Christmas, started in January.

I suggest applying 3 months out and to keep applying that entire 3 months.

I would like to do something research related.
If you want to work on research during your gap year, one option is to look for research technician/assistant jobs in academic labs (basic science) or in clinical research in universities/hospitals. These entry-level jobs don't pay that much, but you can take them if you really want the research experience.

The type of research will depend on your needs. For example, if you're applying MD-PhD, you'll need meaningful research experience, preferably basic science. For MD-only, you can do basic science or clinical research, and it will be best if you have meaningful participation in projects, so that you understand the research and can talk about it in case you're asked during interviews.
I was wondering when I should start applying for jobs to put me at the best advantage for getting a job that I want for my gap year?
If you plan to take your gap year starting next year, you can start applying a few months before your senior year ends, so that you can start working soon after graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply as early as possible. Start scouting your school's job boards as soon as possible and send out your resumes. I know Rockefeller has a program where they hire a lot of research assistants each year. Are you sure you want to live in NYC? The housing market there is really tough.