Gap year: postbac or clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bababa_banana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm graduating with my BS in Bio soon and my plan originally was to take a gap year during which I would gain more clinical experience in the hospital (at the moment I have about 145 hours), shadow some doctors, and prepare for the MCAT. However, today my friend told me that most students who get accepted into med school complete a postbac program and that it would be rare for me to get in without doing a postbac program. I've had difficulty finding any information to support her claim and I don't think I'll need to do a postbac program to better my GPA (both my sGPA and my cGPA are about a 3.9), but I wanted to hear your guys' opinions. Would a postbac program be a better plan for me than my original plan?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely don't need to do a postbac for your GPA. 3.9 is competitive literally everywhere. Work on those extracurriculars and the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Your friend is wrong lol
Your gpa is great. Spend your gap year gaining meaningful experiences

Hey guys,

I'm graduating with my BS in Bio soon and my plan originally was to take a gap year during which I would gain more clinical experience in the hospital (at the moment I have about 145 hours), shadow some doctors, and prepare for the MCAT. However, today my friend told me that most students who get accepted into med school complete a postbac program and that it would be rare for me to get in without doing a postbac program. I've had difficulty finding any information to support her claim and I don't think I'll need to do a postbac program to better my GPA (both my sGPA and my cGPA are about a 3.9), but I wanted to hear your guys' opinions. Would a postbac program be a better plan for me than my original plan?

Thanks!
Stick to your original plan.