Gap year job choice in case I have to reapply next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pprbckwrtr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am thinking about what kinds of jobs I want to apply for during my gap year. There is a special needs assistant teaching position that I am pretty qualified for and likely to get, but I was wondering if a more medically relevant gap year job would be a better choice in case I have to reapply with my current experiences. Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

What are your clinical experiences like so far?

What are your clinical experiences like so far?
~200 hours. Hospital volunteer (included translating for doctors and patients), as well as a behavioral intervention program for severely autistic preschoolers.

Members don't see this ad :)
~200 hours. Hospital volunteer (included translating for doctors and patients), as well as a behavioral intervention program for severely autistic preschoolers.

I would opt for a more clinically related job.

Hello! I am thinking about what kinds of jobs I want to apply for during my gap year. There is a special needs assistant teaching position that I am pretty qualified for and likely to get, but I was wondering if a more medically relevant gap year job would be a better choice in case I have to reapply with my current experiences. Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Given the number of hours of clinical experience you have, I think this job sounds interesting and would pique someone's interest if they read your application. You can always volunteer a few hours a week in a hospital if you need more clinical hours

Look into working as a full-time interpreter! I spent my gap year doing remote medical interpretation. Pay is better than a lot of the other medical jobs (i.e. scribe) and I've learned a lot from my job. It gave me a lot to talk about during secondaries/interviews, and I really feel like I'll be a better physician because of the experience. As an added bonus, I was really able to sharpen and deepen my medical language skills, which will be really helpful in the future I'm sure.