Gap Year and Low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA on graduation (in the best situation) would be about ~3.2-3.4, realistically speaking in the middle.

My question is what should I do during the gap year after graduation? I realize showing the ability to handle higher level science courses is important, but wouldn't a Masters in Biology be relatively useless? In the same vein, would an SMP really be the best option? Taking more graduate or undergraduate courses without aiming for a degree?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA on graduation (in the best situation) would be about ~3.2-3.4, realistically speaking in the middle.

My question is what should I do during the gap year after graduation? I realize showing the ability to handle higher level science courses is important, but wouldn't a Masters in Biology be relatively useless? In the same vein, would an SMP really be the best option? Taking more graduate or undergraduate courses without aiming for a degree?

I can't advise on doing a Masters or SMP, since I have no experience in either, but I just wanted to ask how your EC's/letters/shadowing hours were. I had a few gap years, and I went overseas a couple weeks in the summers to volunteer in a rural medical setting. I learned a lot about myself and about medicine in general, and it was a good experience. Not saying you have to fly over oceans to get the same feeling, but it might be something fun to consider :)

I can't advise on doing a Masters or SMP, since I have no experience in either, but I just wanted to ask how your EC's/letters/shadowing hours were. I had a few gap years, and I went overseas a couple weeks in the summers to volunteer in a rural medical setting. I learned a lot about myself and about medicine in general, and it was a good experience. Not saying you have to fly over oceans to get the same feeling, but it might be something fun to consider :)

Thank you! Did you do something else instead of those options, or was your GPA satisfactory for admissions? :)

I would say the ECs and other components are average--but some additional work would definitely help in all areas. That sounds very exciting, but how would you go about finding such opportunities? Since it is only for a few weeks, it might be an excellent way to have an experience...that's actually fun and different from my usual routine.

If anyone happens to know the best method of correcting a low undergrad GPA, don't hesitate to contribute. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished undergrad with a 2.9 from a reputable engineering school (engineering was hard). I did the Health Careers Program at the Harvard University Extension School (postbacc, pretty much) for 1.5 years with a 3.8, and scored a 36 MCAT. I got into med school with those stats + the usual pre-med extra-curriculars (volunteering, research, shadowing, leadership).

If you're dedicated to medicine and don't mind investing another year or two into preparing for medical school, I don't think the SMP or post-bacc route is too bad. With the GPA you have now, you might only require 1 year and a good MCAT score to get in. Good luck.

If anyone happens to know the best method of correcting a low undergrad GPA, don't hesitate to contribute. :p

If you will be applying DO then you could take advantage of the grade replacement. I'd say to put off graduating for another year (get undergrad tuition and possibly assistance), and retake some of the classes that killed your GPA. If you got a C the first time and an A the second - DO schools just count the A. I didn't do this personally but have heard it several times on SDN. Anyone who has had a grade replacement is welcome to chime in :)

If however you only want MD, it seems like it would be a lot more work clawing your way back up to a good GPA in undergrad then it would be take a post-bac and do very well. Then you would would be showing improvement as well as having an extra degree.

If you will be applying DO then you could take advantage of the grade replacement. I'd say to put off graduating for another year (get undergrad tuition and possibly assistance), and retake some of the classes that killed your GPA. If you got a C the first time and an A the second - DO schools just count the A. I didn't do this personally but have heard it several times on SDN. Anyone who has had a grade replacement is welcome to chime in :)

If however you only want MD, it seems like it would be a lot more work clawing your way back up to a good GPA in undergrad then it would be take a post-bac and do very well. Then you would would be showing improvement as well as having an extra degree.

Let's say in my situation you have a low GPA but the last 60 credits all upper division BIO classes, Organics, Physics, Biochemistry, Human physiology, Genetics (All A's) etc... classified according to AMCAS as 60 credits of senior year courses is a 3.6-3.7 isn't that enough? Would I need post bach if my last 2 years worth of credits are rocking....? I'm still down at the 3.2 area because of my crappy freshman/sophomore years (classes taken back in 2003-2004) more than half a decade ago! Reasoning listed in personal statement is that I was active duty at that time working 50-60 hours / week and going to school (6 AM- 6 PM duties)

Thank you! Did you do something else instead of those options, or was your GPA satisfactory for admissions? :)

I would say the ECs and other components are average--but some additional work would definitely help in all areas. That sounds very exciting, but how would you go about finding such opportunities? Since it is only for a few weeks, it might be an excellent way to have an experience...that's actually fun and different from my usual routine.

Hey, I just saw this comment now, so I thought I'd reply, although it's a little late :laugh:

I believe my sGPA is around 3.3 or 3.4 and my cGPA is 3.5. I'm not 100% sure on that since I have no idea how to calculate my GPAs. I thought AACOMAS did that, but I guess it doesn't. Also, I took classes both at university and at a community college.

As for finding programs to volunteer for, there are tons online just by doing a Google search. You can also try contacting student organizations at your university/alma mater for opportunities. That's what I did anyway. Also, local churches might have mission trips available to do, but those might not be medical in nature. Anyway, hope that helps you out a little :)

Let's say in my situation you have a low GPA but the last 60 credits all upper division BIO classes, Organics, Physics, Biochemistry, Human physiology, Genetics (All A's) etc... classified according to AMCAS as 60 credits of senior year courses is a 3.6-3.7 isn't that enough? Would I need post bach if my last 2 years worth of credits are rocking....? I'm still down at the 3.2 area because of my crappy freshman/sophomore years (classes taken back in 2003-2004) more than half a decade ago! Reasoning listed in personal statement is that I was active duty at that time working 50-60 hours / week and going to school (6 AM- 6 PM duties)

As long as you don't automatically get sorted out by your overall gpa you have a good reason and an upward trend. Even if you do get cut off somewhere because of overall gpa you could always contact the school and ask for a second look because of your special circumstances. From what I understand - military experience is a great EC. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I'm sure there are others that had similar circumstances that can give you their side too. If you don't get replies on this thread you might want to ask about it in a new thread.

I would prefer to aim for an MD, to be honest. My reasons are rather complicated and have much to do with what I'm hoping for as a future profession, even though it is not necessarily a competitive one. However, if DO is my most reasonable option--I would not hesitate taking it. But retaking classes seems...perhaps a bit boring for me. My reasons for doing poorly in them were not related to poor comprehension of the material, except in a select few classes!

What sort of post-bac would you recommend?

Hey, I just saw this comment now, so I thought I'd reply, although it's a little late :laugh:

I believe my sGPA is around 3.3 or 3.4 and my cGPA is 3.5. I'm not 100% sure on that since I have no idea how to calculate my GPAs. I thought AACOMAS did that, but I guess it doesn't. Also, I took classes both at university and at a community college.

As for finding programs to volunteer for, there are tons online just by doing a Google search. You can also try contacting student organizations at your university/alma mater for opportunities. That's what I did anyway. Also, local churches might have mission trips available to do, but those might not be medical in nature. Anyway, hope that helps you out a little :)

Haha, no worries, and thank you for the information! :) Your GPA would be quite higher than mine during graduation. These seem like excellent suggestions for finding programs, and I will begin searching. However, it seems as though all of the mission trips offered are extremely expensive. Is there any way around this, as I would prefer to save funds for MCAT classes, textbooks, tuition, and etc.?

I finished undergrad with a 2.9 from a reputable engineering school (engineering was hard). I did the Health Careers Program at the Harvard University Extension School (postbacc, pretty much) for 1.5 years with a 3.8, and scored a 36 MCAT. I got into med school with those stats + the usual pre-med extra-curriculars (volunteering, research, shadowing, leadership).

If you're dedicated to medicine and don't mind investing another year or two into preparing for medical school, I don't think the SMP or post-bacc route is too bad. With the GPA you have now, you might only require 1 year and a good MCAT score to get in. Good luck.

Wow, thank you for the information! I looked up the program, and it seems interesting. However, I'm not sure how useful this degree would be for anything other than proving to medical schools that you can handle the material. It also seems to be a repeat of pre-req classes. I might have to look for a post-bac that focuses on demonstrating capability in upper level science courses, while also doing well on the MCAT.

Last edited:
I would prefer to aim for an MD, to be honest. My reasons are rather complicated and have much to do with what I'm hoping for as a future profession, even though it is not necessarily a competitive one. However, if DO is my most reasonable option--I would not hesitate taking it. But retaking classes seems...perhaps a bit boring for me. My reasons for doing poorly in them were not related to poor comprehension of the material, except in a select few classes!

What sort of post-bac would you recommend?

Haha, no worries, and thank you for the information! :) Your GPA would be quite higher than mine during graduation. These seem like excellent suggestions for finding programs, and I will begin searching. However, it seems as though all of the mission trips offered are extremely expensive. Is there any way around this, as I would prefer to save funds for MCAT classes, textbooks, tuition, and etc.?

Wow, thank you for the information! I looked up the program, and it seems interesting. However, I'm not sure how useful this degree would be for anything other than proving to medical schools that you can handle the material. It also seems to be a repeat of pre-req classes. I might have to look for a post-bac that focuses on demonstrating capability in upper level science courses, while also doing well on the MCAT.

It's not an impossible thing to do, but you have to start now and make A's from here on out. I was in a similar situation a few years ago (3.3/30Q) and didn't get into medical school. I ended up doing 3 years of graduate school, took a masters, retook the MCAT (31), and finally got into my state school via EDP. Was it worth it? Sure was. Those 3 years were some of the best of my life. I met my wife, developed a scientific mind (which helped me in medical school), matured as a person/applicant, and started medical school ready to get it done (vs some of the people right out of undergrad).

I'm now starting my third year of medical school, I rank in the top quintile of my class (3.93), and if my NBME scores are anywhere near what I get on Step 1, I should be able to pick any specialty that I want.

The best thing you can do is excel in class. Don't mess around and get a 3.5 thinking it's going to be an "upward trend". You really need to get A's and show a few years of consistent academic focus and excellence.