Gap Year Advice: Case Manager or EMT job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyisland

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Currently deciding what job to take in my gap year. I'm deciding between working as a:
1) Case Manager, where I would help homeless clients keep their housing, address their substance use and behavioral health needs, and do a lot of trauma-informed care, help them with a variety of issues like social security, medicaid, and benefits.
OR
2) EMT at an activated respite center, a motel where I would monitor the health and address any needs of homeless clients recovering from COVID. Still would implement trauma-informed care, help clients with a variety of needs.

Either job would be very stressful. I've been wanting to be a Case Manager for some time so I can understand the homeless population needs better, but also continuing as an EMT (I've worked 500 hours in a similar position before) seems like it would be more direct clinical experience.

I have 500 hours paid EMT experience, and 350 hours clinical volunteering, so would working as a Case Manager (which I think is still clinical since I'm intervening in crises and managing patient plans) weaken my application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IMO Since you've been an EMT for a while, I would say Case Manager if you really want to stretch and learn more about the homeless constituency. More non-clinical community service, especially if you really need a boost.

Reactions: 1 users