Gandhi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gandhi

• Was the greatest Indian leader

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Was a ***** who couldn't stop dissing dalits

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Wacko who never did anything good for india

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

data

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any indian like him?

Members don't see this ad.

Mahatma Gandhi was a very complex person... the funny thing is anyone can make an argument about any of the above mentioned choices.

"My experiments with Truth" is a great book to read to get an insight on Gandhi.

Gandhi is a mixed bag...although ultimately, I do think he did more good for all of us posting here.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
I know which one you picked.

Finished reading 'Joothan' yet?

NO man i keep getting dumped with other bull readings. Its due next week.

hi all- after a long time!

I didn't vote on this- because these three options don't measure Gandhi up.

I think Gandhi was a good leader, but hugely overrated! He has some political and social insight, but he was an extremist in his own way. May be his vision of Rural and Basic development was good, but he didnt have a progressive and crucked political vision that his contemporaries like Sirdar Patel had.

But people in India made the same mistake that they always do- they made him an absolute hero- people would even believe Gandhi's thoughts about Herbal way of treatment, about food, about way of life, about every other thing in life- except the contemporary politics!!

By the time of 1940s British people had squeezed everything that was worth taking from India, after that India became a big financial and political burden for them. The sheer size of it that they had to govern went all the way to cost them too much in the terms of money and manpower, and it was not financially viable idea to rule it anymore. At the same time, the WW2 and increasing pressure to create an impression in the changing scenario of world powers was more important for it, so they had to divert their attention.

On the other side, the Rebel movements in India was also causing them a lot of damage- both in the terms of loss of lives of their people, and an international awareness of Civil Resistance to the British rule in India. But--- if the Great Briton liberated India in the face of the violent civil rebellion, it would look Disgraceful for them!

The press, radio and international media were with them- they used it, and created a Pseudo Hero- Gandhi- who was not a rebellion, but a Peaceful saint- as they projected, so that British could step out of India in peace process, and not in shame of defeat!

And a Great Leader was Re-Born!!!

DrGarfield said:
By the time of 1940s British people had squeezed everything that was worth taking from India, after that India became a big financial and political burden for them. The sheer size of it that they had to govern went all the way to cost them too much in the terms of money and manpower, and it was not financially viable idea to rule it anymore. At the same time, the WW2 and increasing pressure to create an impression in the changing scenario of world powers was more important for it, so they had to divert their attention.

On the other side, the Rebel movements in India was also causing them a lot of damage- both in the terms of loss of lives of their people, and an international awareness of Civil Resistance to the British rule in India. But--- if the Great Briton liberated India in the face of the violent civil rebellion, it would look Disgraceful for them!

The press, radio and international media were with them- they used it, and created a Pseudo Hero- Gandhi- who was not a rebellion, but a Peaceful saint- as they projected, so that British could step out of India in peace process, and not in shame of defeat!

And a Great Leader was Re-Born!!!

Yea, Ghandi was way over rated. He hated on so many other groups, not only Dalits, but he also hated on the Sikhs also and threatened to go on hunger strike if they were given their own colleges in Punjab.

Dissing dalits? Didn't he fight for equality??

sk2005-06 said:
Dissing dalits? Didn't he fight for equality??
He infantilized their situation by calling them 'harijans'.

sunny123 said:
He infantilized their situation by calling them 'harijans'.

Harijans or God's people....lol

shivalrous said:
Harijans or God's people....lol
you mean god's children.