Gallaudet University??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audiology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which audiology program to apply to. Has anyone heard anything regarding Gallaudet's program? Anyone in it and can comment about it? I would really appreciate a response. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard it's one of the top 25 schools for AuD programs. It's also great to learn ASL and practice using it since it's a university for the deaf/hard of hearing. Hearing students are welcomed to attend which is nice. I'm a hard of hearing individual, so I am applying to their program, so I should fit in well. =P We should check and see if there is an open house event for their program.

I appreciate you response:)
I hope I get in, I still have my GRE to take. The open house event sounds like a good idea, actually.
Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All.

I am in my first semester of Gallaudet's AuD program. Currently studying for mid-terms so it's kind of crazy. Happy to answer questions.

Hi cidanu,

Tell us all about Gallaudet's AuD program! Why did you choose their program out of all the schools you applied to? Are the professors good (teach well)? Is there any funding? How's the area around D.C.? Just tell us the pros and cons! :)

Audiology,
Thank you! You, too!!! I will be taking my GRE next year. I've got 2 years before I start applying. You've got to let me know how it went and what I should to prepare for it. :) I'm so scared to take my GRE!

well i decided on gallaudet for the following reasons:

learning about the deaf community and ASL
i am local to DC
grant funding for pediatrics
brand new clinical facilities
beautiful campus
testimony of former students

i can't tell you my final opinion of the program because i haven't even finished my first semester yet! i'm just trying to make it through mid-terms at the moment and am not looking too far beyond that.

one thing i can tell you is that the classwork is pretty intensive, and the clinical responsibilities start with a few hours a week the first semester and gradually increase. i think that's something to consider as you're comparing programs.

also if you aren't already fluent in ASL, that's an additional responsibility on top of everything else. it's fun but it's also work.

in terms of graduate student housing-there is none. first year grad students live in a dorm with other grad's and upperclassmen undergrad's. most have roommates too.

i live off campus which is more comfortable (and cheaper) but i'm not learning ASL as quickly.

there are a lot of tradeoff's, but the bottom line is you learn more about deafness here than you will anywhere else. if you want to work with people who use different modalities of communication, this is the place to come.

Hey SoCalAud,

I'm so freaked out about GREs. I'm taking 18 units and there's no time to study for it.:scared:

Wherever I end up going, I'll keep you updated. Good luck!

Audiology,

You're taking 18 units!?!?! Oh my goodness! I just found out that undergraduate college is going to stop allowing us take over 13 units (thanks to my of state of California!). Good luck! Don't stress too much over the GRE. Just remember to do your best. :)

Audiology,

You're taking 18 units!?!?! Oh my goodness! I just found out that undergraduate college is going to stop allowing us take over 13 units (thanks to my of state of California!). Good luck! Don't stress too much over the GRE. Just remember to do your best. :)

Wow CA is limiting the number of credits now.. Hmm interesting. I took 21 for one semester... in NV. Anyways Gallaudet has a great program, I have heard so many good things about it. If you dont mind living in DC, then go for it. I am taking my GRE again, so we will see. Good luck!

CSUs are being affected big time. Students are only allowed to register for up to 13 units and if they want more, they have to try to be on a waitlist or add other classes. It's gotten worst here.

DC isn't bad! it just has a bad reputation. well, it's not all bad. =)

also i hope it didn't sound like i was trying to discourage you from coming to gallaudet. i was just trying to tell you some of the things that you might not be able to ascertain without talking to a student.

also- mid-terms.

Cidanu, your info was really helpful, thanks. I don't know how badly I want to learn ASL. Also I checked tuition and it's a lot higher than most schools. So now I'm having second thoughts.

18 units isn't bad at all. At CSUs it kind of sucks because there are so many exams back to back. UCs have more papers which are a lot easier to deal with in my opinion.

Good luck everyone on your GREs.

Audiology,

What university are you attending right now? I'm at Cal State Fullerton.