∆G = -nFE : how do you determine (n)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charles_Darwin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was reviewing one of my missed destroyer questions (#158 in the 2015 Destroyer), and it was to calculate ∆G. From what I understand, n is the number of moles of electrons. The problem gave the reduction and oxidation reaction: one had 3 electrons transferred, the other had 2 electrons transferred.

Why wouldn't the number of moles of electrons be 3+2= 5? It's listed on the key as being 3x2 = 6

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was reviewing one of my missed destroyer questions (#158 in the 2015 Destroyer), and it was to calculate ∆G. From what I understand, n is the number of moles of electrons. The problem gave the reduction and oxidation reaction: one had 3 electrons transferred, the other had 2 electrons transferred.

Why wouldn't the number of moles of electrons be 3+2= 5? It's listed on the key as being 3x2 = 6

Thanks!
n = number of moles of electrons transferred in the balanced equation for the reaction occurring in the cell. The procedure is to use the least common denominator. Lets try one.....If one half cell has 2 electrons...and the other has 5 electrons...what is n ? You have better said 10 !!!!!

Hope this helps.

n = number of moles of electrons transferred in the balanced equation for the reaction occurring in the cell. The procedure is to use the least common denominator. Lets try one.....If one half cell has 2 electrons...and the other has 5 electrons...what is n ? You have better said 10 !!!!!

Hope this helps.
ah, it makes sense now. Thank you :)