future of optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderlust25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about the field of Optometry...
1. How easy is it to find a full time job right after graduation in a city like Chicago?
2. What is the approximate starting salary right after graduation?
3. Is this a worthwhile career to go into now? If you are currently in optometry school or already graduated, do you have any regrets about entering this profession?
4. I don't plan on opening my own practice, so is it worth it to go into this field with the intention of working in corporate?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
4. Graduated 7 years ago, and about 70% of my classmates own their own practice. If you work corporate, prepare to get treated poorly and work with uneducated support staff and managers that don't care about you.

1. Easy to find a full-time job in Chicago if you work for corporate otherwise finding a job such as in private practice is a lot harder in somewhere like Chicago.
2. Anywhere from 80k to over 100k depending on practice setting and location.
3. Depends on what you are looking for in this profession and having realistic expectations by knowing and researching what the current state of this profession is.
4. In my opinion, heck no and corporate is ultimately one of the biggest if not the biggest stains on this profession.