Future of optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdeecee

Reaction score
Hello ODs,

I am currently interested in pursuing my OD but I would like to know your opinions on the future of optometry. I have seen posts that the future of optometry will continue to flourish while others are uncertain of it. What are your thoughts of it so far as the professionals of this field? Also, side note that the posts are quite outdated so it would be nice for more updated perspectives! Thanks in advance!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

One could doom and gloom EVERY health profession but the dedicated in most every field flourish.

Funny how every OD I know with good common sense does well and the ones with less do less.

If your between those qualifiers you will still be ok.

Reactions: 2 users
One could doom and gloom EVERY health profession but the dedicated in most every field flourish.

Funny how every OD I know with good common sense does well and the ones with less do less.

If your between those qualifiers you will still be ok.
Thanks for the reply and great point/reminder you made there too! Those dedicated will flourish!

Assuming we haven't uploaded our intelligences into robot exo-suits in time for you to graduate and practice for a few decades, there will probably still be eye problems for eye doctors to be involved with. Potential challenges to current Optometry business models include cheap online glasses/contacts, online "refractions" and saturation of eye doctors in the US.

In my humble opinion, if you're considering Optometry you need to have an honest look at how much debt you will have after school (don't forget interest and living expenses), and where you want to practice afterward.

As said above, just use some common sense and make practical decisions. So many sob stories on here, yet somehow I and nearly everyone I graduated with seem to be doing just fine.

Reactions: 1 users