Future of Medical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikolai521

crazed rawlsian liberal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what (or rather, which fields) you guys thought would be at the forefront of medicine in the future: neurobiology? (epi)genetics? nanotechnology? pharmaceuticals?

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely neurobiology

Systems biology with computational Biology, as we learn to use the information from the human genome and similar projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
milliardo_L said:
Systems biology with computational Biology, as we learn to use the information from the human genome and similar projects.
Specifically for me, utilizing this information in structural biology/chemistry to design or implement "magic-bullet" therapeutics. :thumbup:

SaltySqueegee said:
...utilizing this [human genome] information in structural biology/chemistry to design or implement "magic-bullet" therapeutics. :thumbup:

The genome project will not prove to be the magic bullet for anything until we have the accompanying proteome. I?m not saying that is not useful or that we do not have a better understanding of the genetics of some disorders because of it, but the reality (for now at least) is that therapeutic targets are mostly proteins. If gene therapy had any efficacy right now, then we would gain significantly more from the genome project.

Millardo_L is right on ? computational fields will prove to be quite powerful (well, they already are, especially in the neurosciences). But I think the future of most biomedical disciplines is looking OK?as long as funding stays in place!

proteomics research

i.e. global profiling of protein expression