Future of Gastroenterology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmatter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am MSIV anticipating IM residency. I am quite interested in pursuing GI, and I am aware of how competitive it is. I have not done any research and I am hoping to start a project from now until graduation, regardless of what people say about taking it easy in the 4th year, since I am not a medical student superstar. I just have a couple of questions for any fellow who happens to be browsing here, and thanks for your time to answer them.

1. Because there is little time to do research during internship and you have to apply early, what are the measures I can do at this point to be competitive in GI? Does it always have to come down to numbers? Did you get people to call on your behalf? How helpful is the PD of IM?

2. I've read that GI wasn't competitive 5 years ago... is GI in the state of flux? Will they limit the number of residency positions to keep demand high or are they less stringent in this case cf. plastics, derm

3. Anything unique or special that you did to obtain the fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.