Furniture help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bre8162

ILLINOIS C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have to furnish my apartment next year. I decided to buy the furniture instead of paying the 80 bucks a month to furnish the apartment. I figure I would rather make that amount in payments and actually be able to keep the furniture. Plus it doesn't hurt to have furniture later. However, being an inexperienced furniture shopper I have no idea where to start. What are some good places to look for moderately priced furniture? I lucked out with a rent a center before selling end tables that I got for 35 bucks and my step dad refinished, but otherwise I got nothing!

Members don't see this ad.

For basic tables, chairs, etc, I'd try Goodwill or Salvation Army. I got a sweet living room table for $10 once. I got most of my furniture from family members who were no longer using it.
Personally I'd buy a couch and bedding new - getting used makes me shudder. No advice on that, tho - again, mine came from family. I WILL say that owning a sectional couch is the best thing ever in terms of portability. I've moved like 8 times in the past 6 years, it's a livesaver!

Members don't see this ad :)
I WILL say that owning a sectional couch is the best thing ever in terms of portability. I've moved like 8 times in the past 6 years, it's a livesaver!

:thumbup: Second this!

I got a sectional couch from Slumberland. It was about $1500 with a matching coffee table and 2 end tables. Four years later - still looks brand new. Everyone who visits loves it because it seats *tons* of people and is soft and comfy :)

When I furnished my first apartment I got the couch and bed new. Most everything else came off of craigslist or garage sales. Look in your local paper for "estate sales" in particular. Get there early (usually Friday morning) and you can get *amazing* deals because people are selling most of the furniture in the house.

Also - office supply stores usually have some pretty inexpensive desks and things. Not super fancy, but do the job and for around $80 often.

Good luck!

I bought my bedroom and living room suites on sale from Ashley Furniture. Love it!!

For basic tables, chairs, etc, I'd try Goodwill or Salvation Army. I got a sweet living room table for $10 once. I got most of my furniture from family members who were no longer using it.
Personally I'd buy a couch and bedding new - getting used makes me shudder. No advice on that, tho - again, mine came from family. I WILL say that owning a sectional couch is the best thing ever in terms of portability. I've moved like 8 times in the past 6 years, it's a livesaver!

I would agree with the salvation army or goodwill thingy. Saving money is always good, means more money for food. :D

I would also avoid those rent a center places. They charge so much for less than perfect products.

Craigslist, yard sales, and thrift stores --if you're willing to sort through a lot of rubbish, you can furnish a house very nicely while spending absurdly little. Well worth the time and effort.

I would agree with the salvation army or goodwill thingy. Saving money is always good, means more money for food. :D

I would also avoid those rent a center places. They charge so much for less than perfect products.

I just bought stuff from the rent a center that the people returned. I would never actually go through with brand new products. They are really really overpriced. I got a 3 piece table set that was 199 for 35 cause they had scratches. 7 dollars later with some sanding and varnish they were spectacular!

It's the couch that's really getting me. I really can't bring myself to do second hand... unless it was family... and geez they are expensive for my poor lifestyle lol

I just bought stuff from the rent a center that the people returned. I would never actually go through with brand new products. They are really really overpriced. I got a 3 piece table set that was 199 for 35 cause they had scratches. 7 dollars later with some sanding and varnish they were spectacular!

It's the couch that's really getting me. I really can't bring myself to do second hand... unless it was family... and geez they are expensive for my poor lifestyle lol

Ya, getting past the "wonder where this has been and who has done what to it" is kinda hard sometimes. When my hubby and I got our first apt we saw a couch out on someones curb. We took it and I cut the seams on all the cushions and washed them in the washer and then stiched them back on, it only took a few hours one afternoon, and we had a fresh clean couch! So, if you don't mind spending a little time on old dingy stuff, it can be cleaned up and be almost like new:D

We just got a leather sectional from Craigslist today! Fabric furniture is tough, and beds are a huge 'no way' for me. But end tables, dressers, desks, bedframes... all game. We've gotten a lot on Craigslist.

on couches, consider buying a second hand futon frame (metal or wood) then adding matts and cushions. I sewed most of the cushions to have the size I wanted.

When I first moved into my own apartment my end tables were moving boxes with extra bedding and season clothes in them to give them support, draped with sarongs, with plastic trays on top. Served the purpose for a couple years, and then I just replaced them when I found pieces I really liked at yard sales. Bought a heavy, double leaf extendable table for $50 with 8 chairs in an estate sale. Also used a door over a couple of filing cabinets as a desk. bought an old card catalog from a library (before computers were readily available for locating books) and turned that into a cubby system by removing all the drawers. made a wine rack by glueing discarded pcv lengths together and spray painting it...looked very modern.

on couches, consider buying a second hand futon frame (metal or wood) then adding matts and cushions. I sewed most of the cushions to have the size I wanted.

When I first moved into my own apartment my end tables were moving boxes with extra bedding and season clothes in them to give them support, draped with sarongs, with plastic trays on top. Served the purpose for a couple years, and then I just replaced them when I found pieces I really liked at yard sales. Bought a heavy, double leaf extendable table for $50 with 8 chairs in an estate sale. Also used a door over a couple of filing cabinets as a desk. bought an old card catalog from a library (before computers were readily available for locating books) and turned that into a cubby system by removing all the drawers. made a wine rack by glueing discarded pcv lengths together and spray painting it...looked very modern.

Wow, sumstorm this is AWESOME haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one using boxes for tables and storage :D

I bought my bed from City Mattress for around 300, but everything else I bought off craigs list, garage sales, or in people's front yard (on the curb for garbage haha i'm not like taking their porch furniture or anything). Shockingly, when I moved into my first apartment, there was a fULL SET of dishes that were cracked a bit but gorgeous! So that was pretty lucky, but seriously, garage sales in good neighborhoods is SMART. Where I live, there are some ritsy neighborhoods (which there are in all cities and esp those with vet schools) and here I found the best deals. I got a comforter (idk how the rest of you feel about used comforters, but I just washed it a few times before using it haha), some ice trays, silverware, pots and pans, cups, plastic plates, an AWESOME couch that had been sitting in someone's basement for almost it's entirety so was just as new with some fabreeze, and then when my family found out I was moving they kinda started giving me stuff. Granted idk how much stuff you're planning on bringing with you, ie stuffing your car to the brim with clothes/furniture/kitchen stuff and drive, so idk how much stuff from family would help, but a lot of stuff is pretty cheap new, like a coffee maker from target that I got when I moved out or this really nice pink pan from Marshalls (LOVE! :love:).

I had this plan in my head that if I went to Western in California, I'd get a penske, hitch my car, and practically bring everything I owned with me to Cali (5 day drive mind you). Realistically this wouldn't have been smart (cost of gas and renting the Penske/UHaul), so I may have just bought some cheap stuff from around there from garage sales and what not. If you garage sale in a nice neighborhood, generally people aren't like, disgusting with some you-don't-know-where-it's-been stuff, but are generally clean themselves. Or so I like to think haha. I wasn't willing to sacrifice for a used bed, but everything else was 2nd or more hand. Ends up being easier/cheaper.

I didn't know rent a center had cheap used stuff...I should check that out. All I know is that in a college town at the end of the summer people throw out some nice stuff....or sell it on craigslist. That's where I plan on looking for a desk

Members don't see this ad :)
We just got a leather sectional from Craigslist today! Fabric furniture is tough, and beds are a huge 'no way' for me. But end tables, dressers, desks, bedframes... all game. We've gotten a lot on Craigslist.

Yeah, I don't think I could bring myself to buy a bed/mattress off of Craigslist :scared:

For me personally, all of my things/furniture fit into the 6'x12' Uhaul trailer. I know this because I've moved each year of undergrad! I'll probably end up getting a slightly bigger Uhaul just in case but we'll hitch it up to boyfriend's truck and head north. Not sure what will happen when I come home over summers, though..

My $0.02 - Spend your money on a really kickass bed/mattress. For me, a good night sleep is everything. Secondhand the rest.....

FWIW, we just finished furnishing our house for under $500 all off of Craigslist (not counting a new mattress that we splurged on). Solid wood DR table and 8 chairs, book shelves, two leather couches, kitchen table and chairs, BR set...helped that I have an app on my phone that alerted me when things that matched my keywords were posted. Did take a little while since we are on a strict budget ~2.5 months.

FWIW, we just finished furnishing our house for under $500 all off of Craigslist (not counting a new mattress that we splurged on). Solid wood DR table and 8 chairs, book shelves, two leather couches, kitchen table and chairs, BR set...helped that I have an app on my phone that alerted me when things that matched my keywords were posted. Did take a little while since we are on a strict budget ~2.5 months.

Omg what is this app?! I have become a Craigslist junkie now. My boyfriend has been checking out thrift stores and consignment shops for me, he just fears getting something I do not like. So I have to wait until spring break to check a lot of it out. Thanks everyone for the advice so far =)

My salvation army store does 1/2 off sales, especially in the summer. That's where I got my coffee table and tv stand, plus a bunch of kitchen stuff (tea kettle, mixing bowls, etc.)

I hit the garage sales too (works great if you have a grandma or family friend that loves garage saleing--just tell them the kinds of things you're looking for). My mom's neighborhood does a big one the weekend of father's day, and both my brother and I found some good stuff. Her young neighbors had inherited their grandmother's living room set, and they didn't need it. I got solid oak end tables and some brand new lamps for $70.

Let your friends/family know you need stuff too...my best friend and her husband bought a new couch, and she gave me her old one that didn't match anymore that was still in great shape.

Not to contradict anyone's thoughts about used furniture here, def good ideas, but I for one am looking forward to buying matching furniture I actually like and will use for years to come, rather than the mish-mashed furniture I have had since college. I'd like to feel like an adult someday...:laugh:

I love IKEA! I got ALL of my furniture there and it's great! My couch Amd chairs all have removable slip covers that are soooo easy to wash! I have white which was a rash decision but I scotch guarded them and they are great!

Not to contradict anyone's thoughts about used furniture here, def good ideas, but I for one am looking forward to buying matching furniture I actually like and will use for years to come, rather than the mish-mashed furniture I have had since college. I'd like to feel like an adult someday...:laugh:

I did that at one point, but since have moved away from it because I find that different pieces wear at different rates. The only exception is I generally have matching table/chairs in the dining area, but that is easy to find used. Most of the furniture we have is heavy, solid pieces that I wouldn't pay the new price even if I was filthy rich...but because we bought at sales and auctions, we got really nice sets at super cheap prices. We have all marble side tables, coffee table, foyer table for $75 bucks because they were a bit awkward/heavy to move. Our leather couch, chair, love seat and recliner came from someone relocating for a job...less than a year old and $200. I will say finding high quality low cost furniture does require a lot more effort and time...but I actually find it fun. That is why I had things like boxes for side tables and filing cabinets with an abandoned door for desks; gave me time to find the items I wanted at the price I was willing to pay.

I confess, I buy really nice mattresses, and I require a high quality vac. I think nearly everything else is used.

Also, if you plan on relocating yet again after school, it might be best to go with stuff you won't care enough to haul across country.

Omg what is this app?! I have become a Craigslist junkie now. My boyfriend has been checking out thrift stores and consignment shops for me, he just fears getting something I do not like. So I have to wait until spring break to check a lot of it out. Thanks everyone for the advice so far =)

There are quite a few - I had one I didn't like very much, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I have CraigsPro installed right now - I have the $ version bc it was free one day, but the free version is pretty good too - you can still save searches and see what is newly posted. Happy hunting!!!:D

Also, if you plan on relocating yet again after school, it might be best to go with stuff you won't care enough to haul across country.

Good point! I probably won't invest as much in furniture if I move OOS. But if I stay here in Cali, it'd be worth it to me. I think my problem is that I'm a little impatient in waiting to find stuff. And I don't have an SUV/a lot of people willing to help me haul heavy stuff from other's peoples houses. Transportation is such a pain, I'd only do it if it was a real steal.

I know I may be not like everyone else here, but when I moved into my apartment in undergrad, my parents bought all new furniture. I really like it, it's worked well for me throughout my several moves and I plan to keep it for years to come. It also goes with any sort of place I move into (neutral colors, etc.).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with buying used furniture.. save for something like a mattress (at some point you have to loosen the purse strings a little..). However, that takes a lot of time, as I have personally dealt with people on Craigslist regarding furniture, and a lot of times they will respond to your inquiry, but then you never hear from them to go actually pick up the stuff. Another problem is that things on Craigslist don't always look or work the same either in person or when you get them home.

I love IKEA! I got ALL of my furniture there and it's great! My couch Amd chairs all have removable slip covers that are soooo easy to wash! I have white which was a rash decision but I scotch guarded them and they are great!

There is nothing wrong with Ikea! I had been living in my boyfriend's apartment, but it was all my stuff in there, so when I moved to Louisiana this summer we bought all new stuff for him from Ikea and it looks very slick and modern... plus it was way cheap. It probably won't last 30 years, but for the time being until we get to the next life stage it works just fine. The only thing we didn't get there was the couch, because they aren't comfy and a comfy couch is #1 on my list over style!

I have really ghetto furniture in undergrad... but I'm certainly excited to get real furniture when I finally have an apartment for 4 (or 5) years! We have a free couch from Craigslist (fabric and all), and an old Ikea table whose corners came unglued, and a fold-up chair from bed,bath,and beyond. Hahaha.

I think my priorities would be:
1. Nice desk. I will almost certainly buy used, but I need a large desk that's the right height.
2. Comfortable couch. Need somewhere to crash! My standards are rather low (see aforementioned Craigslist couch), but cushy is nice.
3. Decent mattress. We are required to have dorm mattresses here... which are terrible. I slept better during the month I was on the ground doing Desert Ecology research.

Anything beyond that is just luxury. I would like my apartment not to look like a homeless person lives in it, but I am definitely a frugal decorator. If I go to Penn or Tufts, I can surely borrow some nice furniture from family, but if I go to the UK I will be SOL with regards to borrowing.

Anyone else looking forward to sleeping in a bed that's not a twin? I looooove double beds, stretching out, sleeping sideways, it's all good :)

For anyone coming to Penn check out Uhuru furniture. It is a non-profit used furniture seller (profits go to Africa). Can be some really good stuff at unbelievable prices.

There tends to be a lot of old wood furniture from the old houses around here. Usually a little scratched, but if you don't mind (or can refinish or retouch) you get real furniture (not those put it together yourself, veneer, lasts 9 months crap- yes I am an Ikea hater) and pay dirt cheap prices.

The best time to shop is in the summer after people have moved out (students and local families) but before new students have moved in!

I'd really love to find a bachelor style/efficiency/studio place to rent when I move, because I really don't use couch/chairs all that much. They just sit there all lonely and unused because I mostly study at my desk and sleep in my bed, and the TV is in my bedroom too. Problem is, most places appear to be two bedroom which is just too much for my little collection of stuff! I've noticed a lot of places tend to be already furnished, which isn't really my cup of tea although I'm sure its convenient. I'd rather have my own stuff. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled - I'm sure something will pop up.

Okay, so I realize this thread was only bumped because this guy here was being a big ole spammer, but I have a furniture question!

My fiance and I will be buying a sofa set soon. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. One of those dogs is a very very furry husky. The shedding is a huge problem. In the warm months, I have to vacuum at least every other day to keep the tumbleweeds at bay. The furniture we have now tends to be a hair magnet, and it's pretty difficult to get the fur off of it. I end up using the brush attachment and just plucking the hair from the brush into the hose every 30 seconds.

Leather is the solution, right? Fiance hates leather because it's "sticky and uncomfortable." SO--has anyone had success with a pet-friendly non-leather fabric? Is it just wishful thinking?

Much appreciated!

Yeah, I don't think I could bring myself to buy a bed/mattress off of Craigslist :scared:

Isn't that illegal in a lot of places anyway?

Wow... didn't realize how old this thread was. Anyhoos Bacci, have you considered just covering your couch? That way you can wash it pretty easily, and take it off when guests come over?

Ikea is great because it's cheap, new and packed in boxes easy to put in your car and then assemble at home. It should last through four years of school and beyond!

Isn't that illegal in a lot of places anyway?

Wow... didn't realize how old this thread was. Anyhoos Bacci, have you considered just covering your couch? That way you can wash it pretty easily, and take it off when guests come over?

Yeeeeah, I have. Covers just look...so...crappy. Why should my guests be the only ones who get the nice stuff? It's probably a pipe dream, I was just hoping the vast knowledge of SDN would bring me the perfect answer. :D