Funny thing about SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And the advice you see on Allo and Osteo both...everyone always tells you to keep going to the gym during med school. When people give advice about juggling the rigors of med school (which is not to be underestimated, mind you) they always tell you to take time for yourself to go to the gym or some other crap. Here's the funny thing about med school (or my class at least): eeryone hit the f-ing wall about 6 weeks into the year. All those hot boys/girls you meet at orientation? Kiss them bye-bye. By mid November they look like they've been hiding in a basement, sucking blood from virgins since the first day of school. Every single hot person in my class hit the wall by X-mas break. It was pathetic. Pretty much everyone got fat (and I know, since I was at a DO school, where you see your classmates topless once a week) and looked horrible. Who the f was working out during that time? I knew about 5 people (myself included) who didn't look like a bean bag chair when first year was over. And that's including the week before blocks, when you don't work out and live on Dove Chocolate Hearts for two weeks.

I really don't know the point of this thread, just that I always found it funny that people that probably look like the back of a bus in real life are always advising first years to go to the gym (I would speculate that about 70% of my class had never been in a gym regularly - like 4 times a week regular) when they themselves are probably pretty damned hideous.

Future first years: do whatever the hell you want. It's all a ball of flaming sh1t, so do whatever you can to survive. If running for 30 min is your thing, go ahead. But feel free to sit on the couch and eat ice cream and watch "Blind Date" too. It's all good.

Good luck. It sucks.

And, please, Jesus, if any mods are reading this (like Tae): ask Lee if ya'll can create another section for these f-ing annoying "Class of" threads. Seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent post!

:thumbup:

Elysium said:
And the advice you see on Allo and Osteo both...everyone always tells you to keep going to the gym during med school. When people give advice about juggling the rigors of med school (which is not to be underestimated, mind you) they always tell you to take time for yourself to go to the gym or some other crap. Here's the funny thing about med school (or my class at least): eeryone hit the f-ing wall about 6 weeks into the year. All those hot boys/girls you meet at orientation? Kiss them bye-bye. By mid November they look like they've been hiding in a basement, sucking blood from virgins since the first day of school. Every single hot person in my class hit the wall by X-mas break. It was pathetic. Pretty much everyone got fat (and I know, since I was at a DO school, where you see your classmates topless once a week) and looked horrible. Who the f was working out during that time? I knew about 5 people (myself included) who didn't look like a bean bag chair when first year was over. And that's including the week before blocks, when you don't work out and live on Dove Chocolate Hearts for two weeks.

I really don't know the point of this thread, just that I always found it funny that people that probably look like the back of a bus in real life are always advising first years to go to the gym (I would speculate that about 70% of my class had never been in a gym regularly - like 4 times a week regular) when they themselves are probably pretty damned hideous.

Future first years: do whatever the hell you want. It's all a ball of flaming sh1t, so do whatever you can to survive. If running for 30 min is your thing, go ahead. But feel free to sit on the couch and eat ice cream and watch "Blind Date" too. It's all good.

Good luck. It sucks.

And, please, Jesus, if any mods are reading this (like Tae): ask Lee if ya'll can create another section for these f-ing annoying "Class of" threads. Seriously.
First year goin well for ya then?

*Refuses to heed wise words of wisdom from the Wise Old Beaver*

;)

Good to see that you're alive. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Elysium said:
hiding in a basement, sucking blood from virgins since the first day of school.
Hey! Don't knock my hobby just because you don't find it appealing!

hey. I'm sexy. the girls haven't flocked to me yet, but I'm sexy.

I only exercise 5 minutes a day, walking to school excluded. and I never touch the junk food. My waist is lean.

How can you people be so undisciplined.... holding pints of ice cream in your hands. gahhh. such slobs. ;)

I'm in better shape during classes. Since school let out 4wks ago, I've been to the gym 5-6 times (too busy working). During the school yr I was going 5x/wk.

Elysium said:

Good luck. It sucks.

aight bro, speak for yourself. Hitting the gym and looking good is a personal preference. So what if I don't get my top 3 residency choices, as long as I get 1 at least. In the meantime, i'll be looking good wherever it is that I go because i spent my days in the gym. Your ass on the otherhand, would be the physician who needs to get himself a porsche to get laid or you would be married to your fellow ugly classmate physician and have ugly babies who would get teased in school by my goodlooking kids for being so damn ugly.

IgweEmeka said:
aight bro, speak for yourself. Hitting the gym and looking good is a personal preference. So what if I don't get my top 3 residency choices, as long as I get 1 at least. In the meantime, i'll be looking good wherever it is that I go because i spent my days in the gym. Your ass on the otherhand, would be the physician who needs to get himself a porsche to get laid or you would be married to your fellow ugly classmate physician and have ugly babies who would get teased in school by my goodlooking kids for being so damn ugly.

Hey, dude, first of all, I'm a chick. Second of all, I actually DID work out during school even though it kinda sucked sometimes. I'm talking about all these *****s that throw out the "be sure to go to the gym 6 days a week!" crap like they're training for the goddamned Olympics. Med school is probably not the best time to get shredded, mostly because you're too busy getting anally raped by your anatomy professor whose brilliant line "know everything" reverberates constantly in your mind. I just thought it was kinda phony that people say that sh1t when I've seen med students first hand. Not a pretty bunch, let me tell ya.

My point: do something other than stress about school for an hour a day. You will eventually see how difficult this is to do. Go to the gym, or read a book, or play Dance Dance Revolution. Don't matter, just chill.

Elysium said:
Hey, dude, first of all, I'm a chick. Second of all, I actually DID work out during school even though it kinda sucked sometimes. I'm talking about all these *****s that throw out the "be sure to go to the gym 6 days a week!" crap like they're training for the goddamned Olympics. Med school is probably not the best time to get shredded, mostly because you're too busy getting anally raped by your anatomy professor whose brilliant line "know everything" reverberates constantly in your mind. I just thought it was kinda phony that people say that sh1t when I've seen med students first hand. Not a pretty bunch, let me tell ya.

My point: do something other than stress about school for an hour a day. You will eventually see how difficult this is to do. Go to the gym, or read a book, or play Dance Dance Revolution. Don't matter, just chill.

It seems to me that a small (but vocal) minority say they work out religiously while in med school, and your posts do indicate that such a minority of people (yourself included, apparently) did work out and do exist. Working out is certainly a good habit to have, but not as likely for one to take up or keep up when time is scarce in med school, so a smaller subset of the same minority who work out religiously before med school will continue in med school. Getting "shredded" is usually more a matter of manipulating diet than increasing the level of training, so those who would do such don't necessarilly spend an increase in time. Nobody on this board that I have seen say people who work out comprise other than a minority of the med school population -- just that it is possible to do so if you are so inclined. So what's the problem??? :confused: