Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the converse, there are plenty of countries that don't require all this hoopla and produce pretty damn good doctors from students that apply while they're in high school. This delayed decision making, lots of hoops, 'experiences' etc., are mostly an American thing.

The english system combines 2 years of undergrad (preclinical) with 3 years of clinicals. Last I checked, England has a history of training damn good doctors.

While I often drink the kool aid and have done a lot of stuff personally related to medicine due to my own interests, you cannot discount the influence and power that undergrad institutions and lobbying groups wield when it comes to post-graduate study. There are a lot of ways that work. I'm not even sure if our system trains better doctors, more empathetic doctors, or what have you. It just trains doctors that are necessarily older when they finish their training.

Even our current system produces some a-hole doctors, sure that doesn't mean it's not valid, but show me how it's better than that in other countries. I haven't seen any data to support this. We just have a crap ton more money here due to our system (salary included) and our students have an insane amount of debt when they finally graduate from school.
I'm not sure if one system produces better doctors than another and I'm equally unsure about what metrics one would use to determine such a thing. I was referring exclusively to our system in regards to how it works and made no statements regarding how good a system it is.

I'm having trouble moving past this part. How on earth is this not about being competent physician? If the process is rewarding those who check a bunch of boxes because that's what adcoms are looking for over those who would actually make good physicians (not that these are mutually exclusive) then the process is damnably wrong.
I think you are misreading my post. I was referring to what is expected of a competitive applicant while also agreeing that compassion isn't necessarily part of the formula for being a competent physician, which is a point you make. I do, however, think that it is an important faculty within a good physician as someone who's professional life revolves around treating the sick and injured would most definitely benefit from an altruistic nature, as would his or her patients. My overall point was that volunteering and ECs are evidence to adcoms of the altruism they believe - and I think rightly so - to be important in a successful med student as well as evidence of the other skills I mentioned in my post. While volunteering ≠ altruism, non volunteering absolutely ≠ altruism either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if one system produces better doctors than another and I'm equally unsure about what metrics one would use to determine such a thing. I was referring exclusively to our system in regards to how it works and made no statements regarding how good a system it is.

I think you are misreading my post. I was referring to what is expected of a competitive applicant while also agreeing that compassion isn't necessarily part of the formula for being a competent physician, which is a point you make. I do, however, think that it is an important faculty within a good physician as someone who's professional life revolves around treating the sick and injured would most definitely benefit from an altruistic nature, as would his or her patients. My overall point was that volunteering and ECs are evidence to adcoms of the altruism they believe - and I think rightly so - to be important in a successful med student as well as evidence of the other skills I mentioned in my post.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Volunteering is certainly a good way of showing it, but medically related activities aren't the only ECs that display personality traits that are good in a doctor. My issue is that adcoms do regard it as such and, as Goro stated above, actively reject applicants who do not conform to this.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Volunteering is certainly a good way of showing it, but medically related activities aren't the only ECs that display personality traits that are good in a doctor. My issue is that adcoms do regard it as such and, as Goro stated above, actively reject applicants who do not conform to this.
Well medically related ECs are important because they demonstrate that the applicant has exposed themselves to the dynamics of healthcare. Non clinical ECs such as volunteering with the needy hypothetically show altruism and dedication to those in need. All of them show that the applicant is capable of filling various rolls, can engage in a variety of activities and still do well in school and can be creative with their time. The importance of both clinical and non clinical volunteering and ECs cannot be stressed enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've discussed this before ad nauseum, Spinach. But to refresh: 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be under the assumption that the amount of volunteering/clinicals a person has done is directly proportional to their passion/humanism/altruism.

Perhaps a person with a LizzyM of 80 and ~0 volunteering is more interested in academic medicine? Maybe they had health issues? Family issues?

I'd at least give the person an interview to judge them directly.

(But I'm going to assume there's a piece to this story we are missing. Maybe their PS sucked, or their LoRs were lacking... we'll never know the whole story.)

Reactions: 3 users
We've discussed this before ad nauseum, Spinach. But to refresh: 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.
Right, but 4.0/40+ automatons are not. If a 40 is 99.8th percentile, and ~100k people take the test each year, that's only 200 or so 40+ students - maybe a few more if they don't all apply in the year they take the exam. Now narrow that down to those who also got a 4.0 and you could fill only 2 or so med schools with that population, max. Hardly a dime-a-dozen.

Now, it still may work out that the automaton aspect is held in such disregard that even an 80 LizzyM can't salvage it...but it's not because they're exceedingly common. It's just that the stats don't tell the whole story.

I walk into a study room, my great friend introduces me to a couple of girls. He innocently tells them I am pre-med (he didn't know any better).

One of the girls: now speaking to me: (In a pretentious voice) Oh you're pre-med tooooooo? She then snaps at me, "What are you majoring in?!

Me: Biology (trying my best to appear like I do not want to have the conversation)..

Her: Rolls eyes, "Everyone majors in that."

Me: Part of me wants to tell her about how I study physics independently and can't afford an extra two years in school. Instead I just laugh and look away.

Gunner b**** lol.

Reactions: 9 users
I walk into a study room, my great friend introduces me to a couple of girls. He innocently tells them I am pre-med (he didn't know any better).

One of the girls: now speaking to me: (In a pretentious voice) Oh you're pre-med tooooooo? She then snaps at me, "What are you majoring in?!

Me: Biology (trying my best to appear like I do not want to have the conversation)..

Her: Rolls eyes, "Everyone majors in that."

Me: Part of me wants to tell her about how I study physics independently and can't afford an extra two years in school. Instead I just laugh and look away.

Gunner b**** lol.
Yeah...I can sympathize with that
One fellow pre-med girl in my ochem class majoring in political science gave me similar snarky remarks about majoring in biology.

Snarky white girl: Even though there are so many bio majors you are probably going to get in because of *cough* diversity or something...while the rest of us have to try hard to be unique

....:(

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
One fellow pre-med girl in my ochem class majoring in political science gave me similar snarky remarks about majoring in biology.

Snarky white girl: Even though there are so many bio majors you are probably going to get in because of *cough* diversity or something...while the rest of us have to try hard to be unique

How about this one..

Premed: I WISH I WERE BLACK. LOOK HOW EASY IT IS TO GET IN IF YOU ARE BLACK. IT IS NOT FAIR.

She sounds like a box checker. Think outside of the box pre-meds!

Reactions: 1 users

Let's be honest, all EC's and volunteering experiences prove is that you understood their value in contributing to a successful med school application, and that you had sufficient time to devote to it. If it were not a known and expected requirement, then maybe it would reveal something about your personality. As it stands now, however, it only shows your willingness to jump through a few additional hoops.

Reactions: 2 users
ECs do not and cannot prove that you're not just doing the activities to improve your resume.

However, a total lack of ECs does tend to say something.

Additionally, the type of person who does have the drive and passion to really succeed will invariably show certain patterns of activity.

There's a reason these things are expected, and it's because the candidates that really end up shining in school pretty much always have a strong history of certain kinds of activity.

1000% agree with my young colleague.

Something the hyperachievers also don't understand is that box checkers tend to show it at interviews. No passion about Medicine or interacting with patients. These people tend to be wait listed.

ECs do not and cannot prove that you're not just doing the activities to improve your resume.

However, a total lack of ECs does tend to say something.

Additionally, the type of person who does have the drive and passion to really succeed will invariably show certain patterns of activity.

There's a reason these things are expected, and it's because the candidates that really end up shining in school pretty much always have a strong history of certain kinds of activity.

Saying this to some applicants would definitely piss them off.

View attachment 187947

Sadly, there are plenty of "pre-med" students who wouldn't understand that this is not a good thing. They'd just think "oh good, a med school!" without any thought or understanding about the long-term consequences.

Case in point, my coworker this week...

Her: I'm so excited, I have a med school interview next month!
Me: I thought you hadn't taken the MCAT yet?
Her: Yeah, well I found out there are some schools you don't need it for, so I figured I'd apply to those places first so I didn't have to waste money on the test.
Me: What schools?
Her: [names a school I've never heard of]
Me: Where's that?
Her: The Caribbean.
Me: Umm...I'm not sure that's a good idea.
Her: No, I've thought a lot about it, and I was a little worried about if I'd be looked down on because it's not one of the big Caribbean schools, but at the end of the day, I'll still be a doctor, so it's all good.

We're not good friends or anything, but I'm thinking I still need to find a way to gently let her know she's going to waste a lot of money with this route. My conscience says I have to try...but my gut says she still won't get it. :bang:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not pre-med, but a doctor (IMG), who is participating in an "observership," which she calls her 5th year of medical school.
Me: Well you're rotating on neurosurgery, is this something you're interested in?
Her: No, I'm going to be a radiologist.
Me: Oh OK. I understand it is much more difficult to match as IMG. Is there any truth to this (thank you SDN)?
Her: Uh, em, no, not really.
Me: So you won't have to be more competitive, publish, etc?
Her: No, it is basically the same thing.
Me: Why did you go to medical school in Mexico, if you don't mind me asking?
Her: Well, I was at Emory, and I didn't do so well on my MCAT..
Me: Did you consider DO? Or did you want the MD?? (I concede, this was a glorious moment)
Her: Yeah, I wanted the MD.

She may have been one of the most clueless or in-denial people I have ever met.
Now, let me briefly summarize my conversation with her girl-friend, who is also an IMG.
Keep in mind, these conversation were occurring when we had nothing else to do but wait for the doctor while he was on lunch.
Her: Asks me questions about my aspirations.
Me: I divulge that I have an interest in CT surgery, tell her my plans, blah blah.
Me: Anyways, what specialty are you interested in?
Her: Well I can't decide, either family medicine or surgery? I'm 31, I am getting old..
Me: Me, oh, what would you like to operate on.. (She did not understand the question so it seemed). What kind of surgery will you specialize in? And you're only 31, you are young!
Her: I want specialize in pedes.
The conversation gets really awkward..
Later on that day. Everyone is saying goodbyes:
Her #2: Make sure to call me in 30 years when you become a cardio-whatever surgeon.
Me: Haha yeah.

This was one of the most awkward days. I think I inadvertently exposed their ignorance..
The girls responses were genuine. There were no, "I'm just kidding(s)."

PS, last funny event:
The 6ft tall Russian doctor I am shadowing is harshly whispering into is voice recorder. He sets it down, and literally for no reason at all, whips his head at me and peers into the window of my soul with the question, "Why do you want to become a doctor."

Me, stupidly: I want to help people. It all started when I was volunteering at a hospital, and I just LOvEd patient interaction. Rambling nonsensically.
He then complemented me on being proactive, etc. But yeah, I need to figure out a real response to that question. Whew!

Reactions: 5 users
I met a guy this month who's also a senior (like me!) in college. Seemed like a normal college guy at first, if a little too arrogant. After chatting a for a few minutes, I find out that he's also premed, and also planning on attending medical school next fall.

Me: Where did you apply?
Him: Oh yeah i haven't looked at the applications yet. I've got too much going on now with school, ya know, lots of projects and exams.. I just want to take it it easy this semester, enjoy my life have fun like the rest of the seniors. It's too much to worry about now. I'm going to apply over winter break. My older sister is in medical school so she can help me with my essays, so I'll definitely get interviews. And I'm really great at interviews, so you know, I'll definitely get in.

:wtf:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Sadly, there are plenty of "pre-med" students who wouldn't understand that this is not a good thing. They'd just think "oh good, a med school!" without any thought or understanding about the long-term consequences.

Case in point, my coworker this week...

Her: I'm so excited, I have a med school interview next month!
Me: I thought you hadn't taken the MCAT yet?
Her: Yeah, well I found out there are some schools you don't need it for, so I figured I'd apply to those places first so I didn't have to waste money on the test.
Me: What schools?
Her: [names a school I've never heard of]
Me: Where's that?
Her: The Caribbean.
Me: Umm...I'm not sure that's a good idea.
Her: No, I've thought a lot about it, and I was a little worried about if I'd be looked down on because it's not one of the big Caribbean schools, but at the end of the day, I'll still be a doctor, so it's all good.

We're not good friends or anything, but I'm thinking I still need to find a way to gently let her know she's going to waste a lot of money with this route. My conscience says I have to try...but my gut says she still won't get it. :bang:

I would email her a link of the SDN premed forum and a few carib threads. Hopefully, she will read some threads and educate herself.

Start off the email by saying "Hey, I found this cool med website. Check it out." lol

How about this one..

Premed: I WISH I WERE BLACK. LOOK HOW EASY IT IS TO GET IN IF YOU ARE BLACK. IT IS NOT FAIR.

I live in Texas and I often get the whole "Oh well that's great for a hispanic student!" Or "Dude, don't worry your grades dont need to be that good to get in, your hispanic." Or "Oh you just got into this college/program/anything in life because of diversity, med school will be the same you are golden!" Or "I wish I was hispanic man they would love me".

Sometimes I say something about South Americans not being URM at most schools in spite of being hispanic but usually I say nothing. It gets me down and on occasion I question whether I really have been able to do what I have just because I'm hispanic. It makes me doubt myself

But then I look at my bank account full of scholarship money and I dont care.

Reactions: 14 users
I live in Texas and I often get the whole "Oh well that's great for a hispanic student!" Or "Dude, don't worry your grades dont need to be that good to get in, your hispanic." Or "Oh you just got into this college/program/anything in life because of diversity, med school will be the same you are golden!" Or "I wish I was hispanic man they would love me".

Sometimes I say something about South Americans not being URM at most schools in spite of being hispanic but usually I say nothing. It gets me down and on occasion I question whether I really have been able to do what I have just because I'm hispanic. It makes me doubt myself

You shouldn't feel bad; even if you did gain a few extra points, at most, it saved you some time. You rock friend.

Winning.

How about this one..

:laugh: LOL this is the story of my life. Between 2013 and September of this year, a week wouldn't pass by without hearing some variation of this from my peers. I've gotten accustomed to giving blank stares and shrugging my shoulders to save my breath and prevent myself from getting a headache.

This too haha! I was also told once that it would be ok if "we" were just playing a sport instead of "taking spots" (adding insult to injury, I had better numbers than this person but he said that I don't count:wtf:). I just focus on what I can control and I just tell these people to do the same. I've learned that just focusing on what I can control is the best way to go about things!!

I have another one, this is a lot shorter than my other story. My friend is a third year planning on applying next cycle

Me: I'm going to apply to DO schools also.
Friend: Are you ok with not going to medical school anymore?
Me: DO schools are medical schools what are you talking about?
Friend: Really? I thought that was for becoming a chiropractor.
Me::bang:

(About a month later when I received my first interview invite... Apparently she didn't get it)
Me: I got an interview!
Friend: Congrats! At a medical school right?
Me: What:poke:

Well medically related ECs are important because they demonstrate that the applicant has exposed themselves to the dynamics of healthcare. Non clinical ECs such as volunteering with the needy hypothetically show altruism and dedication to those in need. All of them show that the applicant is capable of filling various rolls, can engage in a variety of activities and still do well in school and can be creative with their time. The importance of both clinical and non clinical volunteering and ECs cannot be stressed enough.

Seriously, roll filling is super important. With like strawberry jam or something. Delicious.

Reactions: 4 users
I cannot agree more. To all pre-meds that are going thru, or have yet to go thru the application process: people lie. A lot. About their scores, their grades, their time spent studying ("Ah I only study for an hour and get 103% on everything"), their ECs, who they know, and much more. People are insecure, and people are competitive.

My advice: You know how racehorses have blinders up? Do that. Whatever anybody else does has no effect on you. Do your research into what it takes, and get working. Nobody's going to do it for you, and you only lose all rational thought (and precious time) when you worry about others.

Actually, this applies to a copious amount of situations, but my point at the moment is for students applying/looking to apply to medical school.
My solution was just avoiding premeds like the plague and not looking at WAMC threads.

I play WW to demonstrate my roll filling abilities.

That's horrible.

And with that self appointed "title" often comes the most baffling arrogance I've ever seen. It's almost as if wanting to be a doctor makes them think they are somehow special and enjoy some elevated position over their peers...

I'm sure that talking about being a "pre-med major" does get them special status among less informed family, friends, peers, etc.

I noticed that the way that people treated me changed significantly when they found out that I was going to even apply to medical school. Even people who should know better, like some of my attending friends, would start calling me "Doctor..." Some of that was playful teasing, but some of it wasn't and I found it uncomfortable to have people treating me with more respect when I hadn't done anything meaningful to earn it yet. That is because I am someone with well-founded self esteem who is accustomed to positive regard being tied to my accomplishments.

For someone who has poor self esteem and limited accomplishments, it must be tempting to be able to make an easy claim that yields such profound results. It is a social form of mimicry. All you have to do is talk a good game and people treat you better than you've ever experienced before. That has to lead to some interesting psychiatric pathology.

Don't do it. Refer her to SDN and tell her to read up on it on her own before she commits. Then drop it and leave it be. It would be different if she were a close friend who already valued your advice, but she is likely to decide that you are just trying to stand between her and her dreams and hate you for it.

I tried to talk someone out of it, and just ended up with her not speaking to me anymore. She went, flunked out, and has come back and still hasn't forgiven me for trying to talk her out of it. It is one thing to try to talk folks out of bad decisions anonymously, but cognitive dissonance is a real problem. They will double down and be more committed to the bad idea than before, and when the predictable happens, they will blame you for having predicted it.

*Pre-med is sitting in campus lounge after last final. Calls someone.*

"Yeah," he says to the person on the phone," I think I'm just going to grab one of those last spots for the old MCAT, study for a bit over break and then crush it. Just get it out of the way and not have to deal with the new one."

I occasionally visit the pre-health group at my university. I got a text this morning from a dude in the club:

Dude: Hey, Conflag, is the MCAT curved?
Me: It's standardized... What do you mean by a curve?
Dude: Well, if everyone bombs it, do we get bonus points?

I still don't really know how to respond to this.

Yup. For some people this becomes a belief system...try to inject some rationality into them and their whole world would crumble.

Don't do it. Refer her to SDN and tell her to read up on it on her own before she commits. Then drop it and leave it be. It would be different if she were a close friend who already valued your advice, but she is likely to decide that you are just trying to stand between her and her dreams and hate you for it.

I tried to talk someone out of it, and just ended up with her not speaking to me anymore. She went, flunked out, and has come back and still hasn't forgiven me for trying to talk her out of it. It is one thing to try to talk folks out of bad decisions anonymously, but cognitive dissonance is a real problem. They will double down and be more committed to the bad idea than before, and when the predictable happens, they will blame you for having predicted it.

I think the best response would be "If everyone bombs it, they don't become doctors."

I occasionally visit the pre-health group at my university. I got a text this morning from a dude in the club:

normalcurve.gif

Well, it's already curved like that- that's what standardization does, which was why I was confused. He's expecting like a final curve where they add a couple points so the averages don't look as crappy.

I'm at home for the holidays and ran into an old friend. We caught up and I explained I wanted to be a doctor. As I now live in Colorado, his next response was: "So you just want to write prescriptions for pot?"

I like to think he was mostly joking, but unfortunately, he was serious.

*Pre-med is sitting in campus lounge after last final. Calls someone.*

"Yeah," he says to the person on the phone," I think I'm just going to grab one of those last spots for the old MCAT, study for a bit over break and then crush it. Just get it out of the way and not have to deal with the new one."
This is actually the impression given to premeds by my school's premed department! The director encourages everyone to just sign up for a spot and "try it out". :uhno:

I'm sorry, but you seem to be under the assumption that the amount of volunteering/clinicals a person has done is directly proportional to their passion/humanism/altruism.

Perhaps a person with a LizzyM of 80 and ~0 volunteering is more interested in academic medicine? Maybe they had health issues? Family issues?

Why isn't the amount of clinical experience proportional to passion/interest? If you really enjoy something, wouldn't you tend to do more of it?

Edit: on my phone and didn't realize there was already 2 pages of discussion on this. Nvm

Last edited:
Asked some kid at my university who's pre-med if he'd taken physics yet and he was like, "nah, bro, you don't even have to take physics. It's not required. And it's barely going to be on the new MCAT." :rolleyes: It was the confidence with which he stated it that made it funny.

In Gen Chem, I remember sitting there before a lab once when a couple girls were talking about medical schools they were "looking at," at least one of which I know was John Hopkins. :rolleyes: :eek: I'm pretty sure they're no longer doing pre-med.

How about a funny quote about nurses?
About two months ago, I was volunteering at a hospital and had to take some telemetry boxes to the ICU.
As I am about to leave, two nurses are pretentiously complaining about their jobs.
One turns to me, "Do you want to be a nurse (Also, I can tell she is about to give me some humble brag about why I shouldn't be)?
Me, without hesitation: No, physician.
Her: In a voice of confusion, "oh.." *utter silence*

Now that I think about it, I have heard some hilarious pre-nursing quotes. Anybody have any?

Pre-nurse: Nursing is SO competitive. I'm really nervous to take my biology and anatomy courses.. (They are only required 3 or 4 for the ADN program at my school)

Another pre-nurse: I don't want to brag, but I'm ranked number one in my class (literally in a class of 15 people)..

She had a 90, she was taking biology 101, and she goes to CC.
You go pre-nurse.

This is actually the impression given to premeds by my school's premed department! The director encourages everyone to just sign up for a spot and "try it out". :uhno:

Ahhhh; natural selection at its finest.

About two months ago, I was volunteering at a hospital and had to take some telemetry boxes to the ICU.
As I am about to leave, two nurses are pretentiously complaining about their jobs.
One turns to me, "Do you want to be a nurse (Also, I can tell she is about to give me some humble brag about why I shouldn't be)?
This is funny, because in attempting to show how pretentious nurses can be, you instead showed how pretentious premeds can be.

Reactions: 25 users
Now that I think about it, I have heard some hilarious pre-nursing quotes. Anybody have any?

Pre-nurse: Nursing is SO competitive. I'm really nervous to take my biology and anatomy courses.. (They are only required 3 or 4 for the ADN program at my school)

Another pre-nurse: I don't want to brag, but I'm ranked number one in my class (literally in a class of 15 people)..

She had a 90, she was taking biology 101, and she goes to CC.
You go pre-nurse.
Yyyeah, these aren't quotes of 'less-informed' people, this is just you mocking those going into a different field than yourself because you think you're better than them. It's less 'hilarious' and more 'depressing'.

Reactions: 12 users
Not *that* bad a piece of advice... if you have a ton of money to burn and plan in advance to void it :p

Yyyeah, these aren't quotes of 'less-informed' people, this is just you mocking those going into a different field than yourself because you think you're better than them. It's less 'hilarious' and more 'depressing'.
OK, somebody is taking these posts a little too seriously and personally.

OK, somebody is taking these posts a little too seriously and personally.
Not personally...I am not and have never been a nurse or pre-nursing. However, working in the hospital, my favorite part has always been the team aspect of things, so I find your attitude here and in other threads to be a bit sad.

This is funny, because in attempting to show how pretentious nurses can be, you instead showed how pretentious premeds can be.
You are warping the scenario in your head, I think. Reread the post. I thought it was funny that a nurse wanted to lecture me. After she realized her assumption about me was erroneous (assumed I was pre-nursing), she felt embarrassed.
I respectfully stated, "no, physician." I did not scoff.

I am not going to argue or explain myself further. If you respond again with a rude comment I will ignore you.
Have a good day.

Are you a woman? Because I would find it really refreshing if they were asking a man if he intended to become a nurse... but my experience of gender stereotypes in clinical settings tells me that the fact that she asked you means that you must be a woman.

And yeah, you gotta be careful. There are a lot of really sensitive nurses and friends of nurses around these parts. I don't think you meant to be offensive, but you know how SDN can be when anyone gets ruffled.

Are you a woman? Because I would find it really refreshing if they were asking a man if he intended to become a nurse... but my experience of gender stereotypes in clinical settings tells me that the fact that she asked you means that you must be a woman.

And yeah, you gotta be careful. There are a lot of really sensitive nurses and friends of nurses around these parts. I don't think you meant to be offensive, but you know how SDN can be when anyone gets ruffled.
Considering what he posted about 2 seconds before that on the surgical intern thread, he very clearly has the attitude that nurses are super pretentious and also who cares about them, physicians are clearly superior people who have earned more respect. Perhaps I was primed to read more into the post over here by his previous one, but I do not think I am wrong about the attitude.

I honestly don't see anything pretentious or weird about with the nurses said, except for the descriptors which he placed onto them, and the fabricated intents which he ascribed to them.

@Promethean I am a male! I am very short, and I think that off-puts people (stereo typing on height?). I feel like they will have to lower the OR table for me in the future one day LOL.

Right, people can be sensitive, and I genuinely did not mean offense to the nurses.

I am a male! I am very short, and I think that off-puts people (stereo typing on height?). I feel like they will have to lower the OR table for me in the future one day LOL.

Right, people can be sensitive, and I genuinely did not mean offense to the nurses.

Wow.

Wow.

I am so happy to hear that happened to you, then. The world really is changing, if someone assumed that a guy (whatever height) was aiming to become a nurse. I've had people here explain that they just assumed that I was a woman because I am a nurse. I've had lots of people at work assume that I'm a doctor because I'm a man. Sometimes I think that, in some hospitals, the 50's never ended.

EDIT: My voice isn't very deep, though, and I don't do that ridiculous thing that some men do of pitching it below my natural range to try to sound more manly... so the old, the blind, the confused misgender me. Also, small children have straight up laughed in my face before because they thought my voice didn't match my appearance. It makes their parents get all redfaced and embarrassed, but I find their honesty refreshing. You gotta be able to laugh. It is the only thing that makes life bearable!

Wow.

Wow.

I am so happy to hear that happened to you, then. The world really is changing, if someone assumed that a guy (whatever height) was aiming to become a nurse. I've had people here explain that they just assumed that I was a woman because I am a nurse. I've had lots of people at work assume that I'm a doctor because I'm a man. Sometimes I think that, in some hospitals, the 50's never ended.
Agreed; you never know these days! I've been presumptuous thinking a Mexican Woman was a lab-tech when she was actually a general surgeon.
After volunteering for about a year now, I just expect the unexpected!

Status
Not open for further replies.