Funny q for those in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to get orthotics in the UK? It costs a bundle in the US, not really sure how much in Ireland, but things in the UK like this sometimes are cheaper. So anyone know? :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by orthotics? Teeth braces?

I think leorl means braces/supports for weakened limbs! Have you been in the wars again leorl??? Missed you at Messrs Maguire last night... Was a pretty good night! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthodontics-braces for teeth/discipline of tooth straightening/alignment

Orthotics-device/braces for limbs/joints......discipline dealing with limb/joint/muscle weakness usually under the domain of orthopedics

I know Trin :( I really wanted to go but I didn't get enough studying done. That's two good nights I missed. Ah well, after next wednesday, I'll be freeeee :) So we better have a good night out before classes start...or 2 or 3. Where do you start? I start off with colorectal surg!!!! NOT my idea of a great start! 7:30 am on Monday !@#&(^!#^@!$!#^@ .

Oh, and I meant orthotics. Those are the specially designed / custom-made insoles you put in shoes. I have very flat feet so it makes my back very uncomfortable and tired when I have to stand for long periods of time (i.e. longer than like 40 minutes) and makes my feet really hurt when I go running. Any ideas about UK or Irish costs? (In the US they're like 200+!)

I shall ask a fellow student on my course who is also a podiatrist and get back to you!!

leorl said:
I know Trin :( I really wanted to go but I didn't get enough studying done. That's two good nights I missed. Ah well, after next wednesday, I'll be freeeee :) So we better have a good night out before classes start...or 2 or 3. Where do you start? I start off with colorectal surg!!!! NOT my idea of a great start! 7:30 am on Monday !@#&(^!#^@!$!#^@ .

Leorl >> I'm doing gastroenterology starting Monday. Didn't realise there was a list of interns and bleeps in the Trinity Centre...so I didn't get a chance to talk to the intern on the team before I left on Friday - so I've no idea what time I start on Monday. I'll be there for 8 though...don't think the medics start as early as the surgeons (at least I hope not!!!). What's the deal with registering for the attachment? Do we do drop into the Dept of Medicine in the Trinity Centre on Monday or what?

You're Medicine, so I'm thinking you might not even have to be there til 9. I dunno, ask someone else who's in your group? A bunch of us in my group happened to have that theater ethics class together and so we went to the actual ward and asked what time we should be there if we were attached to so-and-so surgeon/consultant/registrar. I think yeah, we just drop in at some time and sign in. I'll read over stuff tonight and if I find anything, I'll txt ya!

Do you want proper orthotics that are actually individually made for you, or just ones you can buy from the shop?

Shop ones - ?20-30 - but probably not the best!

Specially made ones - no idea. It would be free for me of course, but since you aren't able to get NHS Rx, it wouldn't be for you.

I asked a Podiatrist and he says the cost could vary from ?50 to ?200 depending on the type and even prices for the same item may vary from clinic to clinic.

Thanks Kev. Hmm, guess I need a visit to the podiatrist. Standing during long surgical days is absolute murder and we've become cripples. With My luck, I would be on the 200 GBP end. Fiona, the commercial ones didn't really work for my dad and I'd prefer not to waste money if I should be getting custom ones anyway. My sister got custom ones in Oz and they were like 180 AUD, so like 90 GBP.