Funding opportunities at Columbia, Michigan , Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_maverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I have been accepted for MPH Epi , at Columbia , Michigan , Minnesota. Being an international student, not many scholarships are available at these universities. However, I'd like to know that which of these univ have better funding oppotunities (not loans) in the form of research/teaching assistantships ?

Members don't see this ad.

At Minnesota you can get a TA or RAship through any dept and with anybody at any of the affiliated hospitals. At Minnesota you have an entire medical school, dental school, nursing school, vet school, pharm school, PT/OT, etc etc. Have a background in pharmacology and want to apply it to public health? Great, look around the Pharm dept. That's what I did.

Adcadet said:
At Minnesota you can get a TA or RAship through any dept and with anybody at any of the affiliated hospitals. At Minnesota you have an entire medical school, dental school, nursing school, vet school, pharm school, PT/OT, etc etc. Have a background in pharmacology and want to apply it to public health? Great, look around the Pharm dept. That's what I did.

Thanks for your reply ,Adcadet . But one more doubt - do RA/TAships at the different departments also come with tuition fee waiver ?

And, is this thing unique to Minnesota ? Do Michigan/Columbia have no such concept ?

Members don't see this ad :)
At Minnesota, ALL official RAships and TAships (collectively GAships) currently pay between $15.25 and $23.76/hour AND include health benefits AND come with a tuition benefit that covers $4374/semester which totally pays for 9.4 credits of resident tuition and 5.7 credits of non-resident tuition. Plus, if you work a minimum of 195 hours/semester (a little less than half-time if you're employed a full semester, IIRC), you can get a non-resident waiver.

See here for benefits and see here for SPH tuition rate. Graduate insurance info is here

I can't speak for other schools, but I remember some students in the class ahead of me talking about how they wanted to go to Michigan but they were not allowed to hold official RAships as MPH students

norwegianform said:
I was under the impression that Michigan waives your entire tuition if you TA for +10hrs/wk. I went there for undergrad and I had at least three TAs who were MPH students, so you can definitely TA as an MPH just not in the public health dept. They were all TAs in the biology department.
Like I said, I only heard classmates complaining. I'm wondering if those TAs you had were getting tuition covered and if they were getting full graduate assistantship coverage. Anybody here from Michigan SPH?