Other OT-Related Information Full-time OT and working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callen15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've applied to a 3 year full-time OT program and NEED to work at minimum 24 hours a week (I am an LPN at a clinic). I realize when it comes time for fieldwork working 9-5 type hours is not an option but what about working in the evening? If you completed or are completing a full-time OT program and worked/working at least part-time, I would greatly appreciate some insight as to has it's going and if it's doable?

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started my full time, 3 year, year round program this week, so I don't have too much insight. However, I will tell you this: my program doesn't allow you to work more than 10-15 hours/week and even that is highly discouraged. I have a graduate assistantship that will be 10 hours/week, but I've had trouble finding time to even get started with it.

Something else you should consider is that 9 times out of 10 you will be relocating for level II fieldwork. It may even be a requirement that you go out of state, but don't quote me on that.

It's my opinion that if you will be doing a traditional full-time program, you don't work. If you need to stay at your clinic, you may want to visit the option of a weekend program.

I agree with the above poster that if you want to stay at your clinic then you should consider a weekend program. There was no time for me to work. Unlike work, you have assignments and readings to do and you have exams to study for. You need that time after class to do those things. I would advise against working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I am a newer student and have done my program's summer semester, but not a full-load year round semester yet. Many people in my program work, most (including myself) work around 10 hours a week but a couple do more. I find even 10 hours to be difficult, but others make it work, especially if getting straight A's is not something super important to them. I would recommend speaking to your program and asking about the requirements for your specific school, as many are different. Also be honest with yourself on how good you are with planning out schoolwork, completing things ahead of time, and whether you will have the stamina to attend class, go to work, and do a few hours of school work when you finally do get home. It also might be difficult to maintain a rich social life, or a good sleep schedule. I don't mean this to be totally discouraging because some people must and do make it work, I just think (based on my experience and talking to others) that it will not be an easy undertaking! OT school is rigorous and exhausting on its own, so you don't want to burn yourself out! Also, fieldwork II is a full time experience that almost definitely won't allow another job. However, you know yourself best! Consider asking what the class schedule is like, it seems so far (for example) that my program limits class to three days a week, which makes it easier to work, but those are long days! Best of luck!

I just started my FT 2.5 year OT program. I will be working PT (18-22hrs) for the first 2 years and will save up for the 6 months of L2FW. I am not working because I want to, but because I HAVE to.

My program holds class Mon-Thurs with L1FW on Wednesdays. I have set my work schedule so that I have class and work 1 day a week at most. I anticipate that it will be challenging, but I feel that as long as I keep up with my classwork and stay organized, there's no reason to think I can't do this. Sure, I will probably not be able to sleep in or go out very often with friends on the weekend - and that's ok!

Also, I have completed another grad degree in psychology in 2010 and I worked 20 hours a week the entire program. I did great in the program (3.7 GPA) and still had time for fun.

Just my 2cents!

FT student in OT school and I work about 16 hours a week and have a commute anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours (both work and school)..entering my second year. It's doable.