Full GMC registration for IMG without PLAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my recent experience with others who may be going through the same thing.

I did not have the time or money to wait around for the completion of the PLAB, so I opted to take the alternate routes to registration.

I bypassed the IELTS by getting a letter from my medical school stating that all instruction and tests were done in English.

My postgraduate qualification was over three years old, which meant I had to show that my knowledge was kept up to date by providing evidence of continuous work as well as medical education. I'm unclear whether they used my USMLE part III or my ABIM certification as the postgraduate qualification, but both were over 3 years old. They seemed to take everything into consideration.

I don't know if everyone is likely to go through the same thing, but when the application reached the Assistant Registrar's office, she had the option of making a decision, asking for further information, or referring to the GMC panel. In my case, she referred to the panel, which meets monthly. After they made their decision, it was another week before I received notification.

Though not as expensive or time-consuming, it still took a long time. In all, it has taken me 5 months. Keep in mind that certain parts may have to be repeated if it takes more than 3 months. For example, the declaration of fitness to practice. They may also ask for another certificate of good standing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
wow. that's great!

question, would the case differ a lot if it was me? an IMG from an asian country?

did you take any residency in the US prior to getting UK registration?

okay. i just read your post on another thread and realized my queries were answered already. thank you!

I have done my Fellowship from College of Physician and Surgeon from Pakistan 2 back year. Have scored 6.5 band (IELTs). Intend to move to UK to practice. Will appreciate if anybody can help me out, how should I proceed?