full courseload???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmeliePoulain64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Due to the rigorous nature of the full course load of the Optometry program, the Optometry Admissions Committee looks for applicants to be taking a full course load (five courses per four-month term) during their BSc studies."

and last year i read somewhere that they "prefer" a full courseload.

i don't get this terminology.

it's not fair. not all of us can take 5 coursesa term, and i dno't think taking 4 courses a term, especially at a though univ like UBC mean u are incompetent.

so does this mean i should not bother applying?
my overall average is above 86% and I have tons of extracurricular activities.

what about you guys? some insight please. PLEASE.

Members don't see this ad.

Five courses per semester is pretty standard. Most classes are 3-4 hours and I've always taken between 15-18 hours per semester. The admissions committee just wants to see that your are used to a full courseload, I doubt they are going to be strict about it being exactly 5 classes. Chill out! They are not going to deny you or call you incompetent because you only took 4 classes one semester. But calling the school to ask would be my first action.

"Due to the rigorous nature of the full course load of the Optometry program, the Optometry Admissions Committee looks for applicants to be taking a full course load (five courses per four-month term) during their BSc studies."

and last year i read somewhere that they "prefer" a full courseload.

i don't get this terminology.

it's not fair. not all of us can take 5 coursesa term, and i dno't think taking 4 courses a term, especially at a though univ like UBC mean u are incompetent.

so does this mean i should not bother applying?
my overall average is above 86% and I have tons of extracurricular activities.

what about you guys? some insight please. PLEASE.

No need to worry. We as pre-opts are all taking rigorous science courses. Most science courses at my university are 4-5 credits in length. If I would take 5 courses at 5 credits, I would have 25 credits, 7 more than my school "allows" during a full load. Schools just don't want students spreading four years of coursework (~120 credits) over, say, five or more years. And when in doubt, ALWAYS apply. You never know what might happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with SarahNC...the optometry schools just want to see if you can handle a large course load because entering a professional 4 year program will require you to develop good time management skills. If you satisfy the school's minimum academic requirements, then why not apply...if you're still unsure then just call the specific school. For instance, most schools are not going to look favorably upon you because you completed 25 units but earned a 2.0 gpa, while another student completed fewer units but earned a 3.5 gpa. I believe initially the schools will look at your overall gpa, pre-requisite gpa, OAT scores, etc to see if you qualify for an interview. During the interview, they may ask you about being able to handle a large course load in professional school.

Sounds like what I read on UW site last year...
I was really worried when I saw that on the website b/c I've had a few terms with 4 courses instead of 5... I don't know if the fact that I've taken 6 courses in some semesters made it seem okay... But no worries.
You sound like you've got a good academic standing.