Fulfilling Physics Pre-requisite with Engineering Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston_3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used engineering courses as a non-trad student to fulfill the physics requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has used engineering courses as a non-trad student to fulfill the physics requirements? I can't seem to find a straightforward answer on how this works, so I'd love to hear from someone that has encountered this issue!
Which engineering courses?

Don’t engineers typically take physics as freshmen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fluid dynamics, heat transfer, statics, etc. Many courses which apply physics.

Not entirely true, as how you classify courses is up to you based on the class's syllabus. For example, my friend to bioengineering. He categorized thermodynamics and fluid mechanics (engineering courses) as a physics courses on AMCAS. I took Biostat with the Biology department, but categorized it as mathematics. All our applications were approved by AMCAS, meaning that is what schools see (though of course, they can decide that it doesn't count and reject it later, but that rarely happens)

Not entirely true, as how you classify courses is up to you based on the class's syllabus. For example, my friend to bioengineering. He categorized thermodynamics and fluid mechanics (engineering courses) as a physics courses on AMCAS. I took Biostat with the Biology department, but categorized it as mathematics. All our applications were approved by AMCAS, meaning that is what schools see (though of course, they can decide that it doesn't count and reject it later, but that rarely happens)
Good to know. AMCAS does course verify as you mentioned.

The question here is whether engineering courses can sub for the 2 semester intro physics sequence. I don’t think they can.

Good to know. AMCAS does course verify as you mentioned.

The question here is whether engineering courses can sub for the 2 semester intro physics sequence. I don’t think they can.
yup, those are two very different questions. Surprisingly, it's possible engineering courses could, especially more recently. A decent number of medical schools I applied to asked for either the standard coursework, or advanced coursework in the place of those courses, or other experiences that prove you have competency, with a textbox for justification. Of course, I have no idea whether taking an alternative route affects your chances of admission, or whether it would even be considered justified.

To be honest, OP, if you can do advanced engineering courses, then just go back and do Gen Physics 1 and 2. Should be a piece of cake for you at this point.

yup, those are two very different questions. Surprisingly, it's possible engineering courses could, especially more recently. A decent number of medical schools I applied to asked for either the standard coursework, or advanced coursework in the place of those courses, or other experiences that prove you have competency, with a textbox for justification. Of course, I have no idea whether taking an alternative route affects your chances of admission, or whether it would even be considered justified.

To be honest, OP, if you can do advanced engineering courses, then just go back and do Gen Physics 1 and 2. Should be a piece of cake for you at this point.
I suspect OP did take intro physics but were they taken more than 10 years ago, which would make them unacceptable at many medical schools.

If OP received AP credit for intro physics, many medical schools will accept more advanced physics classes as replacements.

I suspect OP did take intro physics but were they taken more than 10 years ago, which would make them unacceptable at many medical schools.

If OP received AP credit for intro physics, many medical schools will accept more advanced physics classes as replacements.
Actually tbh, if OP did his base physics course 10 years ago, then just now took advanced level engineering courses, I expect he will outright meet the academic requirements of half of all med schools, and half of the remaining med schools would easily give him a waiver.

Actually tbh, if OP did his base physics course 10 years ago, then just now took advanced level engineering courses, I expect he will outright meet the academic requirements of half of all med schools, and half of the remaining med schools would easily give him a waiver.
State schools tend to be less on board with curricular flexibility even today. The highly selective top 30s typically are the ones who accept competency as a substitute for taking specific courses.

State schools tend to be less on board with curricular flexibility even today. The highly selective top 30s typically are the ones who accept competency as a substitute for taking specific courses.
I actually meant to write "this is especially prevalent at top schools" and sadly forgot. Thanks for adding that. I'm surprised you even know that without having applied.

I actually meant to write "this is especially prevalent at top schools" and sadly forgot. Thanks for adding that. I'm surprised you even know that without having applied.
I know my own state schools are very precise about their curricular requirements - whether and how they accept AP credits, for example, how many English credits are required and other microscopically minute details.