Fulbright Scholars Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just curious if anyone tried for a Fulbright Scholarship. My PI suggested it, but I am hesitant since it requires a year in that country. I'm more than happy to go to another country but for 1 year...i dunno. However it would look impressive :D

Anyway, just curious of what all your thoughts are about this program. :)

Members don't see this ad.

relentless11 said:
Hi there,

Just curious if anyone tried for a Fulbright Scholarship. My PI suggested it, but I am hesitant since it requires a year in that country. I'm more than happy to go to another country but for 1 year...i dunno. However it would look impressive :D

Anyway, just curious of what all your thoughts are about this program. :)

I only know that it is incredibly prestigious... who knows it may open up a lot of doors for you. You never know what a prize can do for you...

I had a Fulbright in 2003 to study philosophy in Germany. It was probably the best experience of my life. If your PI recommends it, you should definitely apply. The proposal is the most important part of the application; GPA is secondary. A crucial feature of your application should be an invitation from a researcher in the host country. Perhaps your PI has connections and can help you set that up.

If it weren't for my time in Germany, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to apply to medical school here, because I wouldn't have been fluent in the language. Having the fellowship probably helped get me a spot in med school ... so basically it changed the course of my entire life! I am hoping having this on my CV will help when it is time to apply for residency.

Definitely go for it. If someone is recommending you to apply, that is for a reason and you have a really good chance. Which country would you apply to? Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi-
i had a fulbright in 2003-2004. i never thought that i would have the opportunity to go abroad and do basic science research, but i received the fellowship. the most important thing is to have a mentor behind you who supports the feasibility of your project, and will testify that it can be accomplished in the six/nine months you're in the country. if you have questions email me. all the best,

Sounds great guys, thanks for the responses. I'll definitely look into it. Sooo busy these days with exams and what not. I'll probably do it near the end of my PhD, when the light at the end of the tunnel is a tad closer;).

I'm on a Fulbright doing biophysics research this year. It's a great experience and living in another country has helped me gain some perspective on life, the universe and everything. It probably won't hurt when application time comes. The other posters were right...as long as your GPA is 3.5+ you have a great shot if you can put together a killer proposal. Find an international scholar to work with and get to know them and their work a bit (email to find out about all of their projects - it will help immeasurably in writing the proposal!) Also look at the application stats. France or GB, for example, have extremely low acceptance rates. PM me if you want some advice on the app.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking about applying for a Fulbright but didn't know how to start. How did you all end up choosing/finding a foreign lab to work in? I'm guessing connections... but what if there's little in terms of that?

Also, another question: did you apply to medical school during your Fulbright year or afterward? Working out travel and whatnot...

I was thinking about applying for a Fulbright but didn't know how to start. How did you all end up choosing/finding a foreign lab to work in? I'm guessing connections... but what if there's little in terms of that?

Also, another question: did you apply to medical school during your Fulbright year or afterward? Working out travel and whatnot...

Bump.

Do you have to do "research" during your Fulbright year or can you do something more humanitarian?
I want to go to Nepal and work with the organization Maiti Nepal, which helps women and children who have been sexually trafficked. I don't know exactly what or how I'm going to do this (I won't be applying for another 3-4 years) but I know that I want to go there..

Don't apply if you just want it for its perceived 'prestige.' There are hundreds of Fulbrighters a year and, as such, the award doesn't have nearly as much value as a Truman, Udall, Beinecke, Marshall, or Rhodes. That said, just because one of your PIs thinks you will be successful doesn't mean that you will be or that it's the right option for you to take at this time. The Fulbright will not open the same kind of doors a Truman or a Rhodes will, so be sure to tread carefully and only pursue those things that you actually care about. Fellowship committees are pretty good at seeing through insincere award grubbers; a girl at my old school couldn't make it past the Rhodes finalist phase for this very reason.