Fudan MBBS worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinaman1800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is quite strange and thus I don't really know where to post it. First a little background

School: I am pushing 30 and so am closing in on the cut off age for active military duty in many of the branches. I have a BS in Biology (GPA 2.7), an MBA in Healthservice Admin. (GPA 3.3), and am currently in my final semester of a 4 year postbacc (GPA 3.5). Note I am not entirely certain what my cumulative sGPA is because I have MCBP classes from 4 different schools and have had classes on quarters, trimesters, and semesters systems but it should be approximately 2.6, rather dismal. The last time I took the MCAT was about 3 years ago so this is the last year for my scores before I have to retake them (highest was a 29R most recent was a 28R). Numbers wise I'm not looking too hot I know.

EC: I have experience working in a hospital as a transporter but it is very long ago (2007) and only lasted 3 months. Since 2007 I have always had work except for one semester (gotta pay the bills and what not). I was able to volunteer for 1 month at a hospital (was shooing for the whole summer but personal reasons forced me to leave way early). I have no shadowing experience but have some recent research experience.

Needless to say this last application cycle I have yet to hear any really good news. Still hoping for an interview but as it is almost February I'm not holding my breath. I now have two options and must choose one.

Option 1:
Currently I have a guaranteed position in the MBBS program at Fudan University in China as kind of a back up. Problem is I haven't really heard many good things about the Chinese medical education system and am also wary of the difficulties coming back into the states to practice. To top it off the program is 6 years no assurance of residency or ability to pass the USMLE. This opportunity doesn't last as I am also told that there is a maximum cut off age here which is supposedly 30.

Option 2:
Now the alternative is to enlist or commission as an active duty officer in one of the military branches for a minimum of 4 years (medical officer is preferable). If possible I would entertain the thought of taking classes while active, ideally simple MCBP classes for the sGPA. Obviously I would have to retake the MCATs at the end and then reapply and again hope. Here I would be giving up a guaranteed medical education for the hopes of a better one. Again like I stated earlier there is a cut off age here to, it differs by branch, but the median is 30.

I've sunk so much time into this path and feel that running away from medicine is akin to giving up, which is not in my nature. I've already set up an appointment with an AF recruiter and will definitely ask about the ability to take one or two classes per semester while active. Maybe you guys have some insight or know something that I don't about the MBBS program and nontraditional applicants. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't go to the MBBS program. Fudan University may be one of the top 3 universities in China but everyone knows that for international students it is much easier to get in.

People won't treat you with respect both in China and in the US. Just don't go, stick with the military option. I'm not too confident on the english language instruction (you may not be able to understand them). In addition, because you will be doing your clinicals with patients who speak Chinese, this won't help you when you apply for residency. You will have difficulty getting back and you do have unfortunately are long record of mediocre academic performance which is unlikely to improve when you then start preparing for your USMLEs. You will need a score above the US average in order to overcome the disadvantage of a Chinese medical school, which will be difficult to achieve.

My question is quite strange and thus I don't really know where to post it. First a little background

School: I am pushing 30 and so am closing in on the cut off age for active military duty in many of the branches. I have a BS in Biology (GPA 2.7), an MBA in Healthservice Admin. (GPA 3.3), and am currently in my final semester of a 4 year postbacc (GPA 3.5). Note I am not entirely certain what my cumulative sGPA is because I have MCBP classes from 4 different schools and have had classes on quarters, trimesters, and semesters systems but it should be approximately 2.6, rather dismal. The last time I took the MCAT was about 3 years ago so this is the last year for my scores before I have to retake them (highest was a 29R most recent was a 28R). Numbers wise I'm not looking too hot I know.

EC: I have experience working in a hospital as a transporter but it is very long ago (2007) and only lasted 3 months. Since 2007 I have always had work except for one semester (gotta pay the bills and what not). I was able to volunteer for 1 month at a hospital (was shooing for the whole summer but personal reasons forced me to leave way early). I have no shadowing experience but have some recent research experience.

Needless to say this last application cycle I have yet to hear any really good news. Still hoping for an interview but as it is almost February I'm not holding my breath. I now have two options and must choose one.

Option 1:
Currently I have a guaranteed position in the MBBS program at Fudan University in China as kind of a back up. Problem is I haven't really heard many good things about the Chinese medical education system and am also wary of the difficulties coming back into the states to practice. To top it off the program is 6 years no assurance of residency or ability to pass the USMLE. This opportunity doesn't last as I am also told that there is a maximum cut off age here which is supposedly 30.

Option 2:
Now the alternative is to enlist or commission as an active duty officer in one of the military branches for a minimum of 4 years (medical officer is preferable). If possible I would entertain the thought of taking classes while active, ideally simple MCBP classes for the sGPA. Obviously I would have to retake the MCATs at the end and then reapply and again hope. Here I would be giving up a guaranteed medical education for the hopes of a better one. Again like I stated earlier there is a cut off age here to, it differs by branch, but the median is 30.

I've sunk so much time into this path and feel that running away from medicine is akin to giving up, which is not in my nature. I've already set up an appointment with an AF recruiter and will definitely ask about the ability to take one or two classes per semester while active. Maybe you guys have some insight or know something that I don't about the MBBS program and nontraditional applicants. Thanks in advance.

Did you go to Fudan MBBS? I am also thinking of going there. I wish someone could recommend the best MBBS in China for US students.