From whom to get LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am in the process of getting my LOR's together and was looking for some advice regarding from whom to get them. I will have LOR's from two pediatricians and am trying to decide on the third. I did well on my psych rotation and my attending offered to write me a letter if I needed. She got to know me very well over the 6 weeks and I have no doubt that she can wrtie me a good personal LOR. However, she is only an assistant professor. Is it necessary to get letters from department chairs and other more-prominent faculty members to match into a strong peds program? Also, obviously she is a psych professor. Is it necessary to get letters from the more difficult rotations, e.g, medicine or surgery? From whom would you recommend getting letters? Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my letters was from a psychiatrist and I had SEVERAL people comment on how it was a fantastic letter and how they like psych letters. It was doubly important for me, since some MD/PhDs tend to be antisocial and weird. My letter showed them that I was "normal" and "good with people". The letter was also from a child psychiatrist, but still. I don't think it would be a knock against you.

Do you have a letter from your schools peds program director? It's a good idea to have it as programs you apply to will wonder why not.

Members don't see this ad :)
ekydrd said:
Do you have a letter from your schools peds program director? It's a good idea to have it as programs you apply to will wonder why not.

I have one from the pediatrics medical education director. He writes the letter on behalf of the sub-I attending and includes info from the 3rd year clerkship and fourth year electives. He is known for writing outstanding, very personalized letters. I also have one from my attending from the third-year peds attending. But I do not have a letter from the residency director here (I have never met him) nor the peds dept chair (only met him once).

ekydrd said:

I only included a "Pedi Chair" or "Program Director" letter if the program asked for one. Since they didn't know me well, I thought that a letter from someone with extensive contact would be better.

GeneGoddess said:
I only included a "Pedi Chair" or "Program Director" letter if the program asked for one. Since they didn't know me well, I thought that a letter from someone with extensive contact would be better.

Actually that was a good choice as well. Programs like to see letters from the directors or chairs IF they had good contact with you. Good luck to you.