from pharmacy to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happygolucky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my first semester of pharmacy school and I'm starting to doubt whether I entered the correct field. I don't have anything against pharmacy as a profession although I think that a career as a physician would better suit me.

Do any of you know of pharmacy students (or law students, etc.) who have dropped out of their programs to apply to medical schools? Were they successful in getting acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let your pharm school find out you're on this forum...

I don't know anyone who's done it, but if you are absolutely SURE about it, then you should follow your heart. It is still way early in life to be committed to something that will make you miserable. Just be SURE. Also, maybe pharm school will pick up. The first two years of med school are hell, but people stick with it. Maybe thats just it... stick with it and see before making any premature decisions.

I switched from pre-pharm to pre-med for the same reason. After working in a couple pharmacies for 2 summers I could really tell that it just wasn't for me. That, however, is a little different than your situation. I have heard of a couple people who have applied to med school, didnt get in so they started going to pharmacy school. Then, they applied the year after and got accepted to med school. They ended up making a deal with the med school to defer enrollment until they were done with pharmacy. So that is one option. I have also heard of people from my school who got into dental school and then after their first year getting out and going to med school. So, it can be done. You just have to be able to explain it to the admissions comittee.

I would spend some time job shadowing physicians, if you already havent, to make sure it is really what you want to do. Then this spring you could always take the MCAT and apply, providing you have the all the requirements (i know not all pharm schools require physics). Good luck,.