from dermpath to Mohs surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathDude4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of new to this forum, but I was wondering if I could get some advice from some of the derm residents, fellows, and attendings out there.

I'm a pathology residency grad, and am currently finishing up a dermatopathology fellowship at a major academic medical center on the east coast. Part of my fellowship has involved doing 6 months of clinical derm (eg. clinic, consults, and Mohs) and cutaneous oncology research, while the other 6 months are devoted to purely dermatopathology diagnostics.

Basically, I've fallen in love with Mohs micrographic surgery, and I was wondering if it was possible for me to match into a Mohs fellowship? My main concern is that I'll be applying to these highly competitive fellowships as a dermatopathologist, with residency training in pathology, not dermatology.

I've been told that my patient interactions have been excellent during the clinical portion of my training, and that my surgical skills are good as well.
Also, the majority of Mohs cases that I have seen involve either BCC or SCC, and (maybe I'm wrong, but) there doesn't seem to be a huge clinical diagnostic component requiring a full residency background in dermatology in order to function as a good Mohs surgeon.

If any one out there has any info or advice to give me regarding the possibility of applying to Mohs fellowships, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of new to this forum, but I was wondering if I could get some advice from some of the derm residents, fellows, and attendings out there.

I'm a pathology residency grad, and am currently finishing up a dermatopathology fellowship at a major academic medical center on the east coast. Part of my fellowship has involved doing 6 months of clinical derm (eg. clinic, consults, and Mohs) and cutaneous oncology research, while the other 6 months are devoted to purely dermatopathology diagnostics.

Basically, I've fallen in love with Mohs micrographic surgery, and I was wondering if it was possible for me to match into a Mohs fellowship? My main concern is that I'll be applying to these highly competitive fellowships as a dermatopathologist, with residency training in pathology, not dermatology.

I've been told that my patient interactions have been excellent during the clinical portion of my training, and that my surgical skills are good as well.
Also, the majority of Mohs cases that I have seen involve either BCC or SCC, and (maybe I'm wrong, but) there doesn't seem to be a huge clinical diagnostic component requiring a full residency background in dermatology in order to function as a good Mohs surgeon.

If any one out there has any info or advice to give me regarding the possibility of applying to Mohs fellowships, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time. :)

You might wanna ask a faculty advisor at derminterst.org they might be able to answer you question better then anyone here.