Friggin' NYCOM just raised tuition by 2G's!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiInNyc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when i went for interview, they showed figures totaling $26.775.00. when i went there in person (yesterday) to drop a $1000 payment, they give me an updated sheet:

$28.863.00 across the board!!!

NYCOM peeps, how often does the tuition go up???

this sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, we were informed of that as well. It's a product of a bad economy, rising malpractice costs, and an aggressive dean who has alot of ideas and now needs the money to start rollin. Dont sweat it, an extra 2K is a drop in the bucket by the time it's all done. I dont remember how much it's gone up in past years, but this is definitely the largest rise I've been here for. Hopefully it doesnt continue.

Appoximately 30k x 300 students x 4 classes = 36 million a year. My lord dats alot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
~36 mil isnt really that much, when you look at the 250 "official faculty" on the list, 35+ afffiliated hospitals, and a parent-school in NYIT that's seen better financial days. Plus, over 50 students go tuition-free because of various fellowship programs and the 3rd and 4th year classes right now actually only have about 250, not 300 students, each. Hence, revenues are probably a bit lower than the 36 mil. Add that to rising malpractice costs, and you got yourself a bit of a financial pickle. Welcome to the modern era of private schools.

That's nothing. Western's tuition is over 31k. You'd think New York would be a little more costly than Pomona!

Try up $3,500 at PCOM.

Originally posted by oceandocDO
~36 mil isnt really that much, when you look at the 250 "official faculty" on the list, 35+ afffiliated hospitals, and a parent-school in NYIT that's seen better financial days. Plus, over 50 students go tuition-free because of various fellowship programs and the 3rd and 4th year classes right now actually only have about 250, not 300 students, each. Hence, revenues are probably a bit lower than the 36 mil. Add that to rising malpractice costs, and you got yourself a bit of a financial pickle. Welcome to the modern era of private schools.

You've got to be kidding me. Do you think that the clinical faculty get paid?

Did you know that it is the osteopathic philosophy NOT to pay any clinical faculty? So do not consider them into your budget.

NSUCOM has told the State of Florida it costs $500,000 to train a group of medical students from first year to fourth year.

$500,000. That's 3 students tuition for four years.

That's a lot of extra money. Which is why you see so many DO schools starting up.

Its a HUGE profit making machine, don't let anyone fool you.

Q, DO

So true....so true

I often wonder what's more improtant to the school....medicine, or money!!

Profit in education? Really? :rolleyes:

Yes, education is a business and a comodity these days, but they have to balance the books in order to retain the not-for-profit status with the feds, which most educational instituitions are. Regarding clinical faculty, many of them dont get paid, or get paid minimally, but hospitals will require payment to train students. Hospitals dont do much for free these days. When you mention a "group" of medical students trained for $500,000, what defines a "group" by your terms? If the group is defined as a class, then I'd be interested to see that data, for the cost of salary alone for 4 years for 10 preclinical professors which work for the school exceeds $500,000.

The economy has also ripped into schools endowments, if they even had any to begin with. Hence, these dollars which funded professorships and the like are being taken from elsewhere, namely tuition. An article on this is here

On the other side of the coin, speaking of for-profit education: Did you know Kaplan is starting up a Law school? It's under application for accredidation now. This will start a new age in for-profit educational services. University of Phoenix, another for-profit "school", who I get like 5 spam emails from a friggin day, now has more students than Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, and Cornell, combined.

Yeah, it sucks...tuition does go up every year, but I know that Mr. Schaeffer, the Director of Admission, tells the interviewees that (so at least we are all "warned")...My suggestion: start applying for tons of scholarships (especially if you think you will hit your federal loan cap of $189,000)!

Good luck!

SexyEgptnDr