Friction and initial velocity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

HCHopeful

I did a quick search, but my question is rather narrow.

Okay, I have a coefficient of friction of 0.5. I was traveling down the highway at an unknown velocity and slammed on my breaks just because. I hopped out and found my skid marks to be 10 m long. What was my initial velocity?

I'm awful with friction apparently, and this is something I really am not understanding. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Work = Force x distance = F(friction) x 10 = 0.5mg x 10 = 5mg

Work = change in energy = final KE - initial KE = 0 - KE = -KE = -.5mv^2 (we will use the absolute value because the negative denotes direction and we are looking at work which is scalar)

S0 now we can set the two equations for work equal to each other.

5mg = 0.5mv^2

5g = 0.5v^2

v^2 = 10g

v = sqrt (98)

v = 9.9 m/s

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Work = change in energy = final KE - initial KE = 0 - KE = -KE = -.5mv^2 (we will use the absolute value because the negative denotes direction and we are looking at work which is scalar)

5mg = 0.5mv^2

5g = 0.5v^2

v^2 = 10g

v = sqrt (980)

v = 31 m/s

Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

5mg = 0.5mv^2

5g = 0.5v^2

v^2 = 10g

v = sqrt (980)

v = 31 m/s

Whoops, just caught this. It appears you meant "v = sqrt (98)" which would give a value approximately equal to 10 m/s.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yah sorry you are correct.

Other than that you see how it is just an application of the work-energy theorem and the mass is irrelevant because it cancels.