Frenulectomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't usually see these in the OR. What do you guys usually do for airway? IV or no IV? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Mask case, maybe an iv...if they think they’ll do some stitches I’m more likely to place an iv

If you mean frenectomy then flexible LMA. I personally like IVs

Members don't see this ad :)
Mask, take mask off, ENT goes buzz buzz. Case done.

Reactions: 8 users
mask, no IV, shouldn't take more than 30 seconds

Mask, clip/clip with scissors. MAYBE a buzz with the bovie. Because of this, WATCH YOUR 02 LEVELS!!!! Fire Risk!!!!

Otherwise, not much to it...

WATCH YOUR 02 LEVELS!!!! Fire Risk!!!!

that's why you take the mask off and have it nowhere near child so there is no fuel source for a fire to get started

Reactions: 1 user
If you’ve got a mouth full of 100% O2, there may still be....

If you’ve got a mouth full of 100% O2, there may still be....

oxygen and a bovie together can't alone cause a fire. You need something else to ignite and burn such as a plastic ETT or mask or nasal cannula.

Reactions: 1 user
Mask. No IV.

Post op pain control is not usually too bad, so I might not do much for this. But if you want, you can do a tylenol suppository, or even a small amount of nasal fentanyl.

Due to the recent thread on an airway fire that severely burned a child, I would make extra precautions if there was going to be electrocautery involved, such as what others have suggested about moving the flammable material (mask) farther away when I lift it off. Now I might even have a blue towel doused in water in a little basin next to me.