"Free Fees Scheme" in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muelli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know how this scheme works, so that you don't have to pay any fees as an EU student. All that information about eligibility etc. is so confusing and I don't have any clue how the chances to be considered are.

michael

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Trinners,

thanks for your answer. The TCD information is somehow confusing, the Irish Education Department lists 2 main criterias:
-EU citizen
-1st undergraduate degree

Have you personally got any experience or information how this scheme works in practice (acceptance rate etc.?)

Michael

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Michael, if you are an EU citizen you apply to medicine (and all other university courses) through the CAO system. Take a look at their website and it explains how the system works: http://www.cao.ie/

You'd be entitled to free fees if you are an EU citizen and have had so many years of post-primary education in the EU and lived in the EU etc AND you don't already have a degree...

I should mention that "free fees" is somewhat of a misnomer. You still have to pay a student charge each year...last year it was almost 700 euros and it goes up every year.

Thanks a lot,

I already applied through CAO and am waiting for the decisions which will be made in July or August...

700? seems to be ok, compared to the >5000? listed on the Universities' websites. By the way, it is an excellent price for a world class education in medicine which is hopefully not as far apart from practice and not strictly divided into subdisciplines like here in Germany...

Hi
I studied Biology in Germany, graduated in 1990 and I am citizen of Cyprus which just jointed the EU. What were the admission requirements for you and what procedure did you follow to apply? Is it a 4 year programme in english?
Thanks

muelli said:
Thanks a lot,

I already applied through CAO and am waiting for the decisions which will be made in July or August...

700? seems to be ok, compared to the >5000? listed on the Universities' websites. By the way, it is an excellent price for a world class education in medicine which is hopefully not as far apart from practice and not strictly divided into subdisciplines like here in Germany...

you have to apply via www.cao.ie (central application office); the deadline is the 1st of february (late: 30th of may) of the year you want to start studying.