Freaking out post-COMLEX PE, please help me calm down!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilyhopeless

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did the PE and I am FREAKING OUT majorly!!!

In any case, I really need positive thought right now!!! Just did the exam and I am really nervous of how I did. I have done 2 big mistakes and random mistakes that I am really worried about! I know it is water under the bridge now but I would still like your opinions:

I understand that I cannot disclose anything and I have tried my best to do so. If there are any questionable materials, please tell me!
Things that I did bad on:

1. The biggest thing: Unfortunately, in one OMM case, the patient was so excited that I lost sight of what I need to do so I just proceed to do my PE exam, OMT, debrief, closure and everything. But in the end, after I walked out, I remember that I forgot to ask about PMH, PSH, Meds, All, FH and SH. So, in essence, anything after CC, HPI and ROS. I am feeling good about my OMT and everything. As well, I believe I was very thorough about HPI and ROS. The only thing that I can do at that time is to just put in that I will return to complete my history in a moment.

2. In one other station, I don't think I did my OMT that well or properly introduced OMM to the patient well either. The patient just has so many co-morbidities and was rather strange in giving info. I was running out of time in the end. For all my troubles, the patient just said 'that feeling a bit better now a doctor. Once again, while I have asked the patient everything, I was not able to completely type up the SOAP at the end. It was horgwarsh at best.

3. These are more of running sores: I am a slow typer! Generally, I, more or less, completed patient notes. I have at most, I think, 3 other notes that I did not complete well. Miss some components of Social history.

4. In some cases, I forgot to ask a couple of questions but I obviously cannot write them down here.

5. I don't know whether that is unacceptable or not, but I did heart and lung exams on all my patients and the pertinent system. Whenever I did my heart exam on a patient, I always asked them to lower their gowns for me and they just dropped it down. With males, I don't think that is a big deal but with female now I am worried! I read somewhere that it is inappropriate to ask patients to drop gown to do heart exams, especially on female. I asked all my patients to lower their gowns and if female, to lift their left breast up so that I can listen to the Tricuspid and Mitrial post! So, in essence, all the female patients' breasts were exposed (with bra on, obviously). The only good thing is that after I finished I immediately lift their gown back up and tie it for them! What do you guys think?

6. I was feeling so rushed on a couple of stations and I just don't remember whether I have done a good job

Things that I think I did good on:

1. I was generally able to build rapport with all my patients.
2. More importantly, this time I am feeling as if I am more thorough with my notes and my HPI and ROS, hence I was having difficulty typing them up.
3. I felt like my notes were a lot better but who knows?
4. I am able to come up with more than 3 plausible differential and a couple of problems for the assessment.
5. My PE was more extensive and better written than the last time.
6. Except for that one OMM case I mentioned about, I closed all my cases and allowed the patient to ask any questions and tried to involve them in my plan.
7. I think my OMM was correctly done and noted in my SOAP.
8. I foamed my hand every time and re-foamed if I touched their feet. Asked them how they want to be addressed every time
9. While my OMM is kind of iffy, I made sure to do at least 2 techniques every OMM
10. I draped all my patient and was very respectful.
11. I tried very hard to be empathetic: Said sorry when their complaint came up or someone died, asked them about how it affected their lives, do they want me to talk or write any notes,
12. In all cases, I gave them a return plan and asked everyone whether they have any questions
13. I am almost certain that I counselled everyone about something or congratulate them on good things they did
14. I made sure to ask their permission for any activities and said out loud what I am doing

I am just so nervous about the PE and what happened now. Also, I really don't think 9 minutes are enough!!!

Can people please comment on what I just wrote and give me their opinions?

Edit: I passed so I hope the above spill can helpt someone in the future. FuturePrissy below passed too!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Overall, it sounds like you did well except for the one case where it sounds like you didn’t get much history. Remember that PE averages each of the cases together so it’s okay to not do perfect on every thing as long as you pick up the slack in the other cases. I know there are some things I forgot to ask and do as well on a few cases. Honestly some I felt rushed. It sounds like you did well on the humanistic portion, which is great. Sounds like you weren’t perfect as none of us are but sounds like you passed. I wish you all the best!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just did the PE and I am FREAKING OUT majorly!!!

In any case, I really need positive thought right now!!! Just did the exam and I am really nervous of how I did. I have done 2 big mistakes and random mistakes that I am really worried about! I know it is water under the bridge now but I would still like your opinions:

I understand that I cannot disclose anything and I have tried my best to do so. If there are any questionable materials, please tell me!
Things that I did bad on:

1. The biggest thing: Unfortunately, in one OMM case, the patient was so excited that I lost sight of what I need to do so I just proceed to do my PE exam, OMT, debrief, closure and everything. But in the end, after I walked out, I remember that I forgot to ask about PMH, PSH, Meds, All, FH and SH. So, in essence, anything after CC, HPI and ROS. I am feeling good about my OMT and everything. As well, I believe I was very thorough about HPI and ROS. The only thing that I can do at that time is to just put in that I will return to complete my history in a moment.

2. In one other station, I don't think I did my OMT that well or properly introduced OMM to the patient well either. The patient just has so many co-morbidities and was rather strange in giving info. I was running out of time in the end. For all my troubles, the patient just said 'that feeling a bit better now a doctor. Once again, while I have asked the patient everything, I was not able to completely type up the SOAP at the end. It was horgwarsh at best.

3. These are more of running sores: I am a slow typer! Generally, I, more or less, completed patient notes. I have at most, I think, 3 other notes that I did not complete well. Miss some components of Social history.

4. In some cases, I forgot to ask a couple of questions but I obviously cannot write them down here.

5. I don't know whether that is unacceptable or not, but I did heart and lung exams on all my patients and the pertinent system. Whenever I did my heart exam on a patient, I always asked them to lower their gowns for me and they just dropped it down. With males, I don't think that is a big deal but with female now I am worried! I read somewhere that it is inappropriate to ask patients to drop gown to do heart exams, especially on female. I asked all my patients to lower their gowns and if female, to lift their left breast up so that I can listen to the Tricuspid and Mitrial post! So, in essence, all the female patients' breasts were exposed (with bra on, obviously). The only good thing is that after I finished I immediately lift their gown back up and tie it for them! What do you guys think?

6. I was feeling so rushed on a couple of stations and I just don't remember whether I have done a good job

Things that I think I did good on:

1. I was generally able to build rapport with all my patients.
2. More importantly, this time I am feeling as if I am more thorough with my notes and my HPI and ROS, hence I was having difficulty typing them up.
3. I felt like my notes were a lot better but who knows?
4. I am able to come up with more than 3 plausible differential and a couple of problems for the assessment.
5. My PE was more extensive and better written than the last time.
6. Except for that one OMM case I mentioned about, I closed all my cases and allowed the patient to ask any questions and tried to involve them in my plan.
7. I think my OMM was correctly done and noted in my SOAP.
8. I foamed my hand every time and re-foamed if I touched their feet. Asked them how they want to be addressed every time
9. While my OMM is kind of iffy, I made sure to do at least 2 techniques every OMM
10. I draped all my patient and was very respectful.
11. I tried very hard to be empathetic: Said sorry when their complaint came up or someone died, asked them about how it affected their lives, do they want me to talk or write any notes,
12. In all cases, I gave them a return plan and asked everyone whether they have any questions
13. I am almost certain that I counselled everyone about something or congratulate them on good things they did
14. I made sure to ask their permission for any activities and said out loud what I am doing

I am just so nervous about the PE and what happened now. Also, I really don't think 9 minutes are enough!!!

Can people please comment on what I just wrote and give me their opinions?

Edit: I passed so I hope the above spill can helpt someone in the future. FuturePrissy below passed too!
[/QUOTE

What was your result?

Reactions: 1 user