FQHC what are the limitations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloxxeeey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering looking into FQHC for positions but wondering if they have any option to do any surgical work? Coming out of residency I would like to obtain ABFAS Certification if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering looking into FQHC for positions but wondering if they have any option to do any surgical work? Coming out of residency I would like to obtain ABFAS Certification if possible.
I have some knowledge of them. Theyre all different from what I understand.

They typically pay flat rate salary. If you negotiate properly you can work for flat salary at FQHC and then collect surgical income on the side under their insurance.

But you will only be able to operate on FQHC patients covered under their insurance.

Ex: If you are working at the FQHC clinic and patient wants bunion surgery you dont get paid for any office visits (because they are almost always salary for clinic) but you should negotiate to get paid for the bunion as thats on your own time.

Any non FQHC patient you operate on is fine but you need to carry your own malpractice insurance. Also need to pay tail on any non FQHC patients if you leave which is very expensive so its not worth going out of the FQHC to find patients (Ex: taking call at ER).

They’re kinda like a non-op VA gig. Some have pretty decent salaries and standard benefits (malpractice covered via Tort protection). I know of one DPM making high 200s. Their salaries are open knowledge:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So what if a patient needs to be admitted and an I&D? Am I able to carry forth that care or not?
Also let's say I'm working part time at a FQHC and part time elsewhere can I operate on these patients with my own malpractice then? From what DYK343 is saying that is possible.

So what if a patient needs to be admitted and an I&D? Am I able to carry forth that care or not?
They are all different. But yes potentially
Also let's say I'm working part time at a FQHC and part time elsewhere can I operate on these patients with my own malpractice then? From what DYK343 is saying that is possible.
If you are licenesed, have malpractice insurance, and the FQHC allows it then yes.

They are all different. But yes potentially

If you are licenesed, have malpractice insurance, and the FQHC allows it then yes.

So what exactly do people at FQHC's do for surgery? For example a lot of FQHC's have Urology on board but that is a fairly heavy procedural and surgical based specialty, I can't imagine them not doing some procedures.

So what exactly do people at FQHC's do for surgery? For example a lot of FQHC's have Urology on board but that is a fairly heavy procedural and surgical based specialty, I can't imagine them not doing some procedures.

Well yeah, they treat cancer, not bunions…

They can also stop Medicaid patients from reproducing which is probably pretty valuable to the state…

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Theyre all different. Some no surgery. Some anything goes as long as its a FQHC patient.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a decent FQ job that was emailed to me today.

Working at an FQHC has its perks and amazing quality of life, loan forgiveness and this one has a dang good salary. I also couldn’t find the job postings thread on here (did it get taken down? Maybe I just missed it). Anyways, so here it is:

A non-profit FQHC in Northwest Indiana is adding a full-time Podiatrist to its team in Gary, IN (30 miles from Chicago, IL).

The Highlights
Enjoy working for an employer who values a work/life balance
Flexible schedule allows for a 4 or 5-day workweek
See all ages and provide the latest in state-of-the-art podiatric treatments
Excellent base salary ($280k-$300k) with productivity bonus potential
Full benefits package includes medical/dental/vision, 5 weeks PTO, etc
Qualifies for PSLF and HRSA loan repayment options
May I schedule a call with you for this afternoon or early next week to discuss the position?

Elizabeth Salozzo
Senior Search Consultant
Enterprise Medical Recruiting
Direct: 314.587.4785
Cell: 314.498.1286
[email protected]

I am not sure if most FQHC patients are good surgical candidates.
I do get referrals from them. To sum it up:

Everyone is depressed.
Everyone has chronic pain.
Every third patient has schizophrenia.
A third of them are homeless or borderline homeless (motels, couch surfing)
Over 50% have more than 3 allergies. A select few gems have more than 7 allergies.
Every other patient will ask you to fill out disability paperwork at some point.
No show rate is high.

Not sure if reconstructive foot and ankle surgeries will yield good outcomes in this demographic. Heck I even struggled to get them numb for nail avulsions. I had to take them to surgery center.