FP/OB/IM letters for IM residency app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am definitely submitting my Medicine dept chair letter, OB/GYN clerkship director letter, and away rotation GI Dept cair letter. For the remaining two letters, should I submit an already written excellent FP letter from a community doc I worked with for 2 months or a good to very good letter from our former IM clerkship director (not yet written)? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely submitting my Medicine dept chair letter, OB/GYN clerkship director letter, and away rotation GI Dept cair letter. For the remaining two letters, should I submit an already written excellent FP letter from a community doc I worked with for 2 months or a good to very good letter from our former IM clerkship director (not yet written)? Thanks for any advice!

Send the excellent FP letter, unless the other letter (dir) will have his position written below his name.

While on the topic......

Does it look bad if I submitted a Surgery Chairman letter as part of my 4 LOR for medicine?

How do you decide that one letter is "excellent" and another "very good"? Is there some objective criteria in ranking LORs? Or is it just the number of glowing adjectives per sentence?

I'm not being sarcastic, just curious.

Do you think PDs look pretty hard at these things, or just go "yup, another student that can walk on water".

As far as the OP's question, submit the FP letter since they know you really well. If the program's so stuck up that they don't think an FP knows a good doctor when they see one..maybe you don't want to go there.