Former N.J. State Senator Convicted of Corruption Tied to Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danbo1957

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Waddaya' gonna' do, it's Jersey...

November 18, 2008 -- Associates Press

Wayne R. Bryant, once head of the New Jersey State Senate’s powerful appropriations committee, was found guilty today on all counts in a federal corruption trial relating to his work for the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

Mr. Bryant was convicted by a jury for steering $10.5-million in state grants to the university’s School of Osteopathic Medicine; for soliciting a $35,000-a-year job at the school; and for mail and wire fraud because he applied for the job and was paid through the mail, according to The Star-Ledger, a newspaper in Newark, N.J.

The jury also convicted the medical school’s former dean, R. Michael Gallagher, of bribery for hiring Mr. Bryant to perform a no-work job in community relations at the school. Other employees there said the senator spent just three hours a week on the campus, and “the only thing observed of Bryant by anyone was that he read the newspapers.” Each man faces a possible 15 years in prison upon sentencing, in March, The Star-Ledger reported.

In addition to the criminal convictions, the trial exposed how a powerful handful of Democratic state legislators controlled $12-million in state money under two previous governors through a grant program that has been suspended by Gov. Jon Corzine, also a Democrat.
Investigations by a federal monitor revealed that political patronage was rife at the university, and waste, fraud, and abuse there amounted to some $240-million.

—Eric Kelderman

Members don't see this ad.

Sigh...

They've cleaned up a lot of the ridiculousness that went on in the university. They've been under the supervision of federal monitors for a few years now. Unfortunately, what went on at UMDNJ is just a symptom of larger corruption at the state level.

At least the education remains excellent.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I don't go to UMDNJ, but I'm from Jersey - so this thread really touches close to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh...

At least the education remains excellent.

You OOS get instate tution after 1 year I heard. That's pretty good. Now if only the school I went to did that too...

So glad I'm not moving back to NJ after medical school...