Format for the pre-app request to PDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica Lewinski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the format for the pre-application email that one needs to send to a Program Director, to see if they would consider him/her at all (so that there is any point in including them in the future ERAS application)? Any reply would be very helpful. [Is this the proper list of items to include: Your Status: US Citizen, Graduation-Year, Name_of_Med_School/Country, ECFMG-Certificate-Year and USMLE-I & II Scores? ]. Do we need to send any fee with this also? [to defray their handling/typing/reply-bandwidth etc. costs]. Do they ususally reply? And if yes, how long it takes them to reply generally?

Members don't see this ad.

Erica Lewinski said:
What is the format for the pre-application email that one needs to send to a Program Director, to see if they would consider him/her at all (so that there is any point in including them in the future ERAS application)? Any reply would be very helpful. [Is this the proper list of items to include: Your Status: US Citizen, Graduation-Year, Name_of_Med_School/Country, ECFMG-Certificate-Year and USMLE-I & II Scores? ]. Do we need to send any fee with this also? [to defray their handling/typing/reply-bandwidth etc. costs]. Do they ususally reply? And if yes, how long it takes them to reply generally?

If I understand you right, you want know how to ask programs if you are competitive before officially applying to them through ERAS.

You make it sound like a common occurrence that has to follow some kind of protocol, but I've never heard of this being done. Intuitively, I don't think they would give you this kind of information anyway. If they did it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone who asks. What a mess that would be.

The best way to see if you will be competitive at Program X is to talk to the PD at your own school. They have a lot of knowledge about this kind of thing.

I've never heard of doing this. I thought you just applied to ERAS. Interesting idea but I wouldn't want to be judged solely on my Step 1 and 2 scores when there's so much more to my application.

I contacted all the programs beforehand and got a fairly good idea of how competitive I will be based upon my Step 1 score. I eliminated several programs that I would have otherwise applied to.

There's no standard format - just be super polite and professional.

There is no "format" because the "pre-application email" does not exist as a formal procedure.

If you have serious doubts about your competitiveness, there is nothing wrong with contacting PDs with the information you've listed but expect:

a) some will not respond
b) some will respond with a general statement like "we thoroughly evaluate all applicants and have no cut-offs or other factors which would routinely disqualify applicants" either because its true or because they can't take the chance that you will see encouragement to apply as something of a promise
c) some will encourage you to apply - either because you are competitive or because...see b) above or

As for length of time to respond, it will vary just as it does in real life. Some people respond rapidly to these things and others do not. A fee is not expected as you are not getting a "formal" evaluation.

Kimberli Cox said:
There is no "format" because the "pre-application email" does not exist as a formal procedure.

If you have serious doubts about your competitiveness, there is nothing wrong with contacting PDs with the information you've listed but expect:

a) some will not respond
b) some will respond with a general statement like "we thoroughly evaluate all applicants and have no cut-offs or other factors which would routinely disqualify applicants" either because its true or because they can't take the chance that you will see encouragement to apply as something of a promise
c) some will encourage you to apply - either because you are competitive or because...see b) above or

As for length of time to respond, it will vary just as it does in real life. Some people respond rapidly to these things and others do not. A fee is not expected as you are not getting a "formal" evaluation.

Thanks Kimberli Cox for your detailed and thorough reply. I agree that its not a "formal" evaluation ... but, is it possible that some PDs can take pity on the bottom of the barrel type applicants and see their plight of having to spend huge amount on ERAS and at least mercifully tell, if the package falls below their absolute watermark (of last year), so that, there is no point in applying there and would save resources for everyone. If extracting this info from the program secretary takes 5 minutes of her time (coffee-time), shouldn't she be paid, say a 5-bucks attached bill, as the fee for this reply, even though informal! This way everyone saves ... the program gets some income and candidates save 25 bucks. Just an idea for the chaotic world! :confused: :scared:

I would not attach money to any informal requests for information or other materials. I doubt that enclosing it would increase the likelihood of a PD responding to your inquiry and could leave the PD and staff with a negative impression of you.

Erica Lewinski said:
Thanks Kimberli Cox for your detailed and thorough reply. I agree that its not a "formal" evaluation ... but, is it possible that some PDs can take pity on the bottom of the barrel type applicants and see their plight of having to spend huge amount on ERAS and at least mercifully tell, if the package falls below their absolute watermark (of last year), so that, there is no point in applying there and would save resources for everyone. If extracting this info from the program secretary takes 5 minutes of her time (coffee-time), shouldn't she be paid, say a 5-bucks attached bill, as the fee for this reply, even though informal! This way everyone saves ... the program gets some income and candidates save 25 bucks. Just an idea for the chaotic world! :confused: :scared:

Please do NOT include any money. As noted above, it would most likely leave a bad impression and won't help in any way.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think you're "bottom of the barrel"?

I wouldn't expect a response from the majority of PD's. Why should they give you special treatment without a formal application? ... Talk to the PD/chairman at your home program; they should be able to give you advice.